Type 1 for 26 years & Scleredema

L2648J

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Pronouns
She/Her
Hey everyone! I'm Lauren, and I was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes two weeks before my third birthday. Right now, I'm using the Dexcom G6, and I'm one month into using the Omnipod 5.

I haven't had any major complications that are usually associated with diabetes. However, I have another medical condition that's not very well known. It's called Scleredema Adultorum of Buschke (I know, quite a mouthful to say!). My diabetic team isn't fully aware of it, but my Rheumatology & Dermatology team thinks it's linked to my Type 1 diabetes. I'm currently trying immune suppressants to see if they have any positive effect/helps. Has anyone heard of this? I thought it might be worth reaching out, as I understand that it's not very well known.

Welcome to the forum @L2648J

Hope you are enjoying the Omnipod and Dexcom combo. Presumably they are talking to each other in a hybrid closed loop?

I’ve not heard much if anything about Scleredema, but it sounds like it has an autoimmune root, and quite a few on the forum have a clutch of autoimmune conditions, which do seem to have a habit of flocking together.

I’ve found this which does list the ‘of Buschke’ as an alternative, and connects it to autoimmunity and diabetes.

Seems like optimising blood glucose levels may bring about some improvements and slow any progression?

Hi Lauren
My sister in law had sclerodema (and a load of other things, but not diabetes). There is a support society set up, which Sally found very useful and in fact she spent a few years on the governing body. Can’t remember what it was called but I expect if you google it you’ll find it.

Back