Type 1 diabetic and vegan.. anyone else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zgw.46

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hello! New member here 🙂

I've been type 1 diabetic since 2008 and vegan for 4 years.

Initially going vegan helped my blood sugar control immensely - eating more plant based foods.. etc

But lately my sugars have been out of whack, without my diet changing.. not great!

Are there any vegans on here who may have experienced something similar?

Any advice would be super appreciated!

I am but I think if you've been vegan for so long it's unlikely to be the cause for the sudden out of whack sugars.

My BG can be fine for a month or 3 then randomly go a bit awol and need some adjustments and then they usually return. Just par for the course with diabetes I think.

Have you managed to adjust your medication to deal with the changing levels?

@zgw.46 welcome to the forum.
I am primarily vegetarian* ... not vegan ... and have been for over 20 years. Vegetarianism pre-dates my diabetes.

Have you had your covid jab recently? It seems to have knocked a few sugars out of whack for a number of weeks after their jabs.

* I eat fish occasionally so I know I am not a true vegetarian.

I'm not vegetarian at all but I also vote that you look elsewhere for the cause, particularly Covid vaccine or possible low level Covid infection even. My basal insulin needs have slowly and steadily doubled since my first vaccine in mid Feb. Had a few days of erratic up and down and then 5 days after, I felt ill for a day or two and my levels of course went up as a result but they progressively rose after that and I had to slowly increase my basal to deal with the double figures....initially using frequent bolus corrections each day until I upped my basal and that went on for weeks until nearly 3 weeks after the second dose and I am just starting to reduce my basal dose a bit now after having a whopping 7 hypos the other day!

I’m not vegan but eat a lot of vegan meals. I too find they’re very blood-sugar friendly. I’d think there was a cause other than your diet - Covid vaccine, injection sites, hay fever or a minor illness, or any of the many tedious things that affect us. Degraded insulin is another possibility, so change that/those if you haven’t already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back