Type 1 Diabetes Puts Strain on Marriage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Fears about low blood sugar and future complications are major issues for married couples in which one partner has type 1 diabetes, a small study shows.

The study, published in Diabetes Care, was done in four focus group sessions, two with 16 adults with type 1 diabetes and two with 14 of their spouses.

The intent was to gather preliminary information to guide future research in an under-studied field, says researcher Paula M. Trief, PhD, professor of medicine at the State University of New York Upstate Medical University in Syracuse.

http://diabetes.webmd.com/news/20130313/type-1-diabetes-puts-strain-marriage

No shit, Sherlock?

However, nice for it to get some publicity.

Is this the blokes job ???? Some people get paid for nowt 🙄

Think Professor Paula probably isn't a bloke but to be fair, I've never met her/him and starnger things have happened !

And in answer to your question it was more likely actually done by one or more Psychology students at the medical school, under the supervision of - cos that's what usually happens here! And then they publish the results quietly under the radar if they are boring, and the main man/woman shouts em from the rooftops if they appear to be newsworthy and takes the kudos for them where applicable! :D

Seriously though, I think my husband felt a bit excluded when I had my pump as he usually comes to my clinic appointments - he hadn't used to but when I had me nervous breakdown and couldn't really go anywhere on my own he just stepped in and came with me everywhere for moral support - and it's just carried on - I don't dislike that, cos he cares and there is no reason to exclude him. It isn't a secret after all. But the pump training, in a room with just other diabetics and a nurse, well obviously he didn't come.

But I try to include him, I really should talk to him more about it though, shouldn't I? cos if I was flat on the floor for any reason I'd need him to know he can turn it off etc - but he knows how it connects so I expect if I was that hypo - he obv knows how to test etc - he'd just disconnect me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back