Type 1 diabetes is dull, not 'shocking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Dominic Nutt explains how he manages the potentially destructive disease.

Walk into a diabetic unit in any hospital and you will see the effects: people losing their sight, people needing dialysis and people who have had feet amputated because of damage to the blood vessels in their lower limbs.

So why do I say diabetes is dull but not shocking? This is because there is a tendency to focus on the ''needle thing??. Mrs May admitted that having to inject herself with insulin a couple of times a day is ''a bit of a shock?? but she?s taken the view that she must just ''get on with it??.

She?s right. And the injections are painless. The real bugbear of type 1 diabetes ? the dull bit ? is having to measure your insulin and balance it with the amount of carbohydrate you eat ? at every meal. This means, if you are assiduous, weighing potatoes, pasta, rice. (Try working out how many grams of carbohydrate in a pasta meal when the pasta already has sauce on it.)

It?s guesswork. You then have to work out how much insulin to take to balance the carbohydrates. Too much insulin and you will collapse with hypoglycaemia ? too little glucose in your blood (you need a minimum level at all times).

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/10207799/Type-1-diabetes-is-dull-not-shocking.html

Good article (for once!) 🙂

(free registration for 8 articles a month)

Best article I've seen in a long time. Great to see that someone 'gets' it, but of course they would, being T1 themselves.

Frankly I think a few doctors and drug manufacturers should also have a read of it too as maybe then they might realise that a magical new way to deliver insulin won't sort out the underlying real issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back