Type 1 Diabetes Clinical Psychology Research

Status
Not open for further replies.
Relationship to Diabetes
HCP/Researcher
FOLLOWING FEEDBACK, I AM RELAUNCHING THIS SURVEY TO INCLUDE DEMOGRAPHIC INFORMATION.
THANK YOU TO ALL WHO PREVIOUSLY PARTICIPATED, EVERYONE WHO HAS SHARED THEIR CONTACT INFORMATION FOR THE REPORT/AMAZON VOUCHER WILL STILL RECEIVE THIS AND/OR BE ENTERED INTO THE DRAW FOR THE AMAZON VOUCHER.

DO YOU
HAVE TYPE 1
DIABETES?

...AND WANT TO
PARTICIPATE IN RESEARCH?

We are exploring
self-criticism and
diabetes-related distress

INTERESTED?

To find out more please click the link: https://canterbury.onlinesurveys.ac.uk/exploring-the-relationships-between-self-criticism-and-per-2
or contact principal researcher, Maeve: mh997@canterbury.ac.uk

AM I ELIGIBLE TO PARTICIPATE?

ADULTS AGED 18+

WITH A TYPE 1 DIABETES DIAGNOSIS

HAVE HAD TYPE 1

DIABETES DIAGNOSIS FOR AT LEAST ONE YEAR

SELF-MANAGING THEIR OWN DIABETES CARE AND USING INSULIN FOR GLYCEMIC CONTROL

RECEIVING SUPPORT AND/OR MEDICATION FROM UK HEALTHCARE SERVICES

HAVE NOT HAD A DIAGNOSIS OF AN EATING DISORDER

ARE NOT ENGAGING IN SUBSTANCE MISUSE

DO NOT HAVE A DIAGNOSIS OF OR ARE EXPERIENCING SIGNIFICANT MENTAL HEALTH ISSUES

This study has been approved by Mike @everydayupsanddowns

Attachments

Last edited:
Interesting! I well remember having my handwriting analysed by someone, years ago. He studied the bit of paper I'd duly written 'the quick brown fox' etc on, then looked at the wall past my ear as he blurted out very quickly 'I see that you have a very high opinion of yourself which is not always shared by others!' This survey has required me to analyse my feelings, thoughts and answers more than I ever do in the normal course of my life and I really do not know whether I want or wanted to ....

Interesting! I well remember having my handwriting analysed by someone, years ago. He studied the bit of paper I'd duly written 'the quick brown fox' etc on, then looked at the wall past my ear as he blurted out very quickly 'I see that you have a very high opinion of yourself which is not always shared by others!' This survey has required me to analyse my feelings, thoughts and answers more than I ever do in the normal course of my life and I really do not know whether I want or wanted to ....
Hi Jenny,

Thanks for sharing and completing the questionnaire. The questionnaire can definitely arouse many thoughts, memories and feelings, particularly as its focus is on self-criticism and distress, that can be uncomfortable.

On the debrief sheet at the end of the questionnaire there is contact information if you would like further support. You can also contact myself, Maeve on mh997@canterbury.ac.uk if you would like to talk further.

Best,

Maeve

I found it slightly scary but highly illuminating. I was enabled to confront feelings I've been having for years but never quite been able to deal with. Thank you.

But as with all surveys, there were questions I couldn't really answer properly, eg. I am retired so work isn't relevant, and my parents have been deceased for many years. Maybe requesting some demographic information would have informed your research better?

Nevertheless I wish you well and look forward to seeing the results of your research.

I found it slightly scary but highly illuminating. I was enabled to confront feelings I've been having for years but never quite been able to deal with. Thank you.

But as with all surveys, there were questions I couldn't really answer properly, eg. I am retired so work isn't relevant, and my parents have been deceased for many years. Maybe requesting some demographic information would have informed your research better?

Nevertheless I wish you well and look forward to seeing the results of your research.
Hello!

Thank you for your reflections and feedback, they are so very valuable and helpful. I will ensure to consider this within the write up. Take care and if you have any further questions please do contact me: mh997@canterbury.ac.uk

Best wishes,

Maeve

I too have completed the survey and found it illuminating.
The parental questions had little relevance to me as I was diagnosed as an adult so don't experience daily (or even weekly) input from my Mum and Dad.
However, I found myself wanting to "confess" to the way I respond to HCPs. They ask how I am managing and I always say "fine" because I am reluctant to admit my good HbA1c is a result of some hefty high/low swings some times. I feel they will be judgmental .. in the same way I judge myself.

I too have completed the survey and found it illuminating.
The parental questions had little relevance to me as I was diagnosed as an adult so don't experience daily (or even weekly) input from my Mum and Dad.
However, I found myself wanting to "confess" to the way I respond to HCPs. They ask how I am managing and I always say "fine" because I am reluctant to admit my good HbA1c is a result of some hefty high/low swings some times. I feel they will be judgmental .. in the same way I judge myself.
Hello!

These are important insights and I thank you very much for sharing. It must be very difficult to share how you're managing when you're feeling judged. We hope this research will contribute to our understanding of the psychological factors associated with Type 1 Diabetes and help develop better support to people with Type 1 Diabetes. I will also be posting the findings on this thread.

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to get in touch: mh997@canterbury.ac.uk

Best,

Maeve

Thank you so far to everyone that has contributed. If there is anyone you may know who would be interested in taking part, please do share the link to complete the survey.

Best,

Maeve

There is a chance to win £100 Amazon voucher by entering a prize draw at the end of the survey. Please note that this will be through clicking on a different link on the debrief sheet to ensure anonymity.

Thanks again everyone for your participation so far! If you know of anyone who would like to participate, please share the survey link with them.

Thanks all for your participation. I am hoping to recruit around 20 more participants so if you would like to participate and have not yet, or know someone who would, please click/share the link above!

Thank you to everyone for your participation and sharing the survey. I have now closed the survey. I will share the research report here following analysis and write up. Best, Maeve

FOLLOWING FEEDBACK, I AM RELAUNCHING THIS SURVEY TO INCLUDE DEMOGRAPHIC INFORMATION.
THANK YOU TO ALL WHO PREVIOUSLY PARTICIPATED, EVERYONE WHO HAS SHARED THEIR CONTACT INFORMATION FOR THE REPORT/AMAZON VOUCHER WILL STILL RECEIVE THIS AND/OR BE ENTERED INTO THE DRAW FOR THE AMAZON VOUCHER.

If you would still like to provide information, please click on the link above

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back