Type 1 Diabetes and essential tremor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Owenblade

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Morning

I'm a 49 year old Type 1 Diabetic diagnosed when I was 25. My blood sugar control is pretty good but over the years I have had increasing problems with essential tremor in my hands, numbness in my feet and an increasing loss of balance/co-ordination. I take Humulog and Lantus about 100-120 units total per day. Is there any advice on insulin that reduces the effects I'm suffering from - Thanks O

Hi @Owenblade 🙂 Sorry you’re having problems. Have you seen a doctor and received a diagnosis? I believe tremors can be linked to neuropathy.

What’s your blood sugar control like? Have you tried tightening up your control to see if you get any improvement or is it good already? There are a few supplements that can help neuropathy sometimes - Alpha Lipoic Acid is one (I think it’s actually prescribed in a few countries) and Benfothiamine is another.

Sorry to hear about your sensory difficulties and tremor @Owenblade

Here is some information on various different types of neuropathy if that is what is causing your symptoms

You need a neurologist to have a look at you, particularly because of the loss of coordination and balance, so the first step is seeing your doctor. Not everything that happens to folk with diabetes is due to that condition. In other words, do what you would if you didn’t have diabetes.

Tremor, loss of coordination and balance are almost never due to diabetes, which is mainly a sensory neuropathy. Don’t be seduced by thinking it’s the diabetes. It isn’t. And don’t let your doctor think it is, either. You need to be diagnosed as soon as possible, and only a neurologist can do that.

I know forum advice is not to offer diagnoses, but I used to be a doctor, and you history is clear and obvious to me.

Hi @Owenblade The symptoms you describe can also be due to a deficiency in B12. Any GP should be able to do a simple blood test to ascertain that, but do ask for the numbers as some seem reluctant to treat when it's actually only just in range.

Even when there is a lack of blood test vials?
It may be worthwhile @Owenblade emphasises his difficulties is order to get this test rated as “essential”.
So I hear on this forum, but I had blood tests done last week and have to have more done on Wednesday and they seem happy to do them, so maybe the shortage is patchy depending on areas?

Ooops, just googled it... and indeed it said there was a shortage. Wonder why I'm getting mine?

So I hear on this forum, but I had blood tests done last week and have to have more done on Wednesday and they seem happy to do them, so maybe the shortage is patchy depending on areas?

Ooops, just googled it... and indeed it said there was a shortage. Wonder why I'm getting mine?
Because, as we all know, … you are special 🙂

I had/have the problems described by @Owenblade and it turned out to be MS. So as @mikeyB says go see Dr and get a neurology apt.

rofl.gif

😱What a pity there's no "rolling on the floor crying with laughter" emoji!
will that do? 🙂

Hi @Owenblade The symptoms you describe can also be due to a deficiency in B12. Any GP should be able to do a simple blood test to ascertain that, but do ask for the numbers as some seem reluctant to treat when it's actually only just in range.
None of the symptoms described can be due to B12 deficiency. They could conceivably be B1 deficiency, or Beri Beri as it is called. Usually seen in starving African children.

As I and @Pumper_Sue have said, this is clearly a primary neurological problem unrelated to diabetes or any other deficiency. Because we have both been there, done it and got the T shirt. We recognise the symptoms, so could folk please stop cooking up possible diagnoses when the two people who know have said that he should get a neurology appointment, and not dream about blood tests.

@Owenblade, see your GP and get that neurologist appointment. And I apologise for others amusing themselves, it certainly isn’t appropriate.

Last edited by a moderator:
The symptoms may be
Rubbish. None of the symptoms described can be due to B12 deficiency. They could conceivably be B1 deficiency, or Beri Beri as it is called. Usually seen in starving African children.
With all respect may I point you to this link from the NHS website https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/vitamin-b12-or-folate-deficiency-anaemia/complications/ which clearly states that B12 deficiency can lead to neurological symptoms which include but are not exclusive of:
  • loss of physical co-ordination (ataxia), which can affect your whole body and cause difficulty speaking or walking
  • damage to parts of the nervous system (peripheral neuropathy), particularly in the legs
Many GPs are unaware of this. @Owenblade said "over the years I have had increasing problems with essential tremor in my hands, numbness in my feet and an increasing loss of balance/co-ordination." To which I was responding as I have suffered these symptoms before diagnosis with the deficiency and which return in the week before my injections are due. I have shaking hands, my balance goes and I can trip over a feather. I have fallen many times, sometimes suffering quite severe damage such as broken ribs. It was a thought... I did advise he consult the Dr.

@Owenblade Please accept my sincere apologies if levity crept into the thread, it was not meant for amusement or to take your post lightly. I sincerely hope you can get this properly diagnosed.

Last edited:
Fair enough, but it is more rare for B12 deficiency to produce those symptoms, but the gradual onset described by @Owenblade is more typical of a specific neurological problem. Even Parkinson’s disease can cause similar symptoms, but other symptoms of that are more common, and would have been diagnosed already. That’s the key - his symptoms are typical of a neurological problem, so they should be considered first, though of course the tedium of routine testing for deficiency problems has to be gone through. At my first assessment, 14 test tubes were extracted from me at my first assessment, testing for all of them - including syphilis, which can also produce similar symptoms in tertiary form. Bet you all haven’t thought of that, (including @Owenblade 😉), but it still happens around the world, and is still routinely tested for in neurological units.

The problem with GPs, and indeed members of the forum, is that you can only use diseases you are familiar with to offer suggestions. I can think of at least 10 neurological conditions that can do the the same, which is why I think it’s clear that this is a neurological condition unrelated to diabetes or any deficiency, the main reason for that is most of them were considered as my possiblediagnosis at some time or other.

Fair enough, but it is more rare for B12 deficiency to produce those symptoms, but the gradual onset described by @Owenblade is more typical of a specific neurological problem. Even Parkinson’s disease can cause similar symptoms, but other symptoms of that are more common, and would have been diagnosed already. That’s the key - his symptoms are typical of a neurological problem, so they should be considered first, though of course the tedium of routine testing for deficiency problems has to be gone through. At my first assessment, 14 test tubes were extracted from me at my first assessment, testing for all of them - including syphilis, which can also produce similar symptoms in tertiary form. Bet you all haven’t thought of that, (including @Owenblade 😉), but it still happens around the world, and is still routinely tested for in neurological units.

The problem with GPs, and indeed members of the forum, is that you can only use diseases you are familiar with to offer suggestions. I can think of at least 10 neurological conditions that can do the the same, which is why I think it’s clear that this is a neurological condition unrelated to diabetes or any deficiency, the main reason for that is most of them were considered as my possiblediagnosis at some time or other.
It is less rare than you think regarding B12 deficiency especially if you were to read the B12 forums. It's actually surprisingly common. One of the reasons I suggested it and a far from frivolous suggestion. Given the difficulties which deficient patients come up against with regard to suitable treatment I am not surprised at your dismissal. However, you are correct that we cannot diagnose and I never suggested that we could. I wholeheartedly agree with you that @Owenblade should speak to his GP initially asking for relevant tests and referrals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back