Type 1 Diabetes and employment - my job has been changed

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackStevenson_

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Moderator Note: This post has been split from an earlier thread on possible discrimination at work https://forum.diabetes.org.uk/boards/threads/network-rail-type-1-diabetes.73642/page-2

Hi , i am type 1 diabetic and have been giving a level 2 medical meaning i vent work alone. This was done by an external medical centre and my company have changed the job position as can’t do possession support by yourself. My diabetes is well controlled wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction to hopefully get this changed to a level one?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi , i am type 1 diabetic and have been giving a level 2 medical meaning i vent work alone. This was done by an external medical centre and my company have changed the job position as can’t do possession support by yourself. My diabetes is well controlled wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction to hopefully get this changed to a level one?
I suggest you contact the DUK helpline number at the top of the page as they will be much more familiar with the legal position and disability discrimination legislation.
Don't forget many 'rules' can be to keep you and others safe.

I think that if he is well controlled and has hypo warning symptoms and CGM barring him for being Type I would be absolute discrimination!

When I left school (end of the sixties) many jobs were automatically barred. I wanted to join the police as I have an enquiring mind and always solved the police dramas on TV. But it was No Way Hosea! This discrimination spread into many other areas not helped in many case by pig ignorance! Indeed I encountered ignorance and stupidity by the bucketful at various levels. In fact the directors were so stupid the company collapsed because of their actions.

Back to the subject in hand. I have been driven a number of times by a Type I. Apart from the requirements previously mentioned he needed to meet the DVLA requirements for C1/D categories.

Sudden illness type comments are utter nonsense as over a fifty year working life I saw many people taken ill and even die. In fact the youngest to die was 18 from a cardiac arrestv(sudden death syndrome).

I wish him every luck!

This was quite an old thread @JackStevenson_ (and some of the contributors don’t post any more) so I’m going to split your post into a new thread of its own so that people don’t get confused, and are able to offer you suggestions directly.

This page has information about your rights at work, and how to talk to your employer about risk which may be helpful.

Do give the helpline a call too. Diabetes UK has an advocacy team which may be able to offer your support if you are facing discrimination in the workplace.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back