Type 1 diabetes and Cold plunge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

graza

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi there,

I can't seem to find any helpful information on this subject. I do alot of running and I am looking to purchase a cold water tub to start cold water therapy for muscle recovery and also read that it has great health benefits. However reading information on specific cold tub booklets it states not to use them if you are Diabetic and a further list of diseases such as heart disease etc.....

On other threads I've read it's good for type 2 diabetics. But I've seen nothing on Type 1. Can you use them safely if you are well controlled and pretty fit and healthy?

Any advice would be great.

Welcome to the forum @graza

I have no experience of using cold water therapy, but happily took par in polar plunge in Alaska. They had a boat in the water with a defibrillator at the ready, but we all survived in tact.
I just checked my levels were good before I went in, took my pump off, plunged and reconnected afterwards. My levels rose a little with the shock!

I am not sure whether there might be information on the website runsweet which focuses on specific sports. There may be others on here who use this. The only person I can think of who might is @SimonP so have tagged him.

I heard Michael Mosely talk about cold therapy on a radio program the other day, just by chance so not sure what it was called but I suspect you could find it on BBC Sounds.

I heard Michael Mosely talk about cold therapy on a radio program the other day, just by chance so not sure what it was called but I suspect you could find it on BBC Sounds.
It was Cold Therapy with Michael Mosley - 5 short (<15mins) programmes on Radio 4 in November, available on BBC Sounds for "over a year".

Welcome to the forum @graza

I have no experience of using cold water therapy, but happily took par in polar plunge in Alaska. They had a boat in the water with a defibrillator at the ready, but we all survived in tact.
I just checked my levels were good before I went in, took my pump off, plunged and reconnected afterwards. My levels rose a little with the shock!

I am not sure whether there might be information on the website runsweet which focuses on specific sports. There may be others on here who use this. The only person I can think of who might is @SimonP so have tagged him.
Thanks pal.

Yeh I used it last year just on the legs after runs in the bath and didn't really effect my sugars. But just thought I would ask about before going full plunge incase it does effect a diabetic body! Thanks for the response.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back