Type 1 Diabetes 2.5 years on

Status
Not open for further replies.

spence

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi guys. Well I have been trying to get my head around this condition. I am a 50 year old male. Firstly my diabetic team have been helpful and local hospital. What I can't cope with is how it has changed me mentally and emotionally. I get good and bad days. (moods). My fiance says I drift away (she feels like I am not in the room) if that makes sense. I feel like sometimes I am looking down on myself. She think I am suffering from depression. My levels do fluctuate. I am going on the carbohydrate course soon and have an app with my consultant next month. Do any of you guys get these feelings and emotions. It's really affecting my life and relationship. As always, thankyou for any replies.

Hiya @spence. Sorry to hear about the effect diabetes is having on your life atm. I’m sure a lot of us on here can sympathize. I reckon I feel really fed-up once a fortnight, for whatever reason (usually random BGs). Over the years I’ve learned to take my foot off the accelerator for a few days, and just do the basics (carb counting, routine exercising, etc) until I’m back to my old self. It seems to work...

Have you spoken to your GP or hospital team about how you’re feeling? Maybe mention it at your next appointment. I hope the carb count course is a help.

Sorry to hear how diabetes is still impacting your mental health @spence

Have you had any more episodes of uncharacteristic anger or outbursts since last year?

Many people experience a form of grieving with a diagnosis like diabetes, which can involve very strong emotional experiences including the ‘classic’ grief states of anger, denial, depression, bargaining, and acceptance. Sometimes all on the same day.

Plus people with diabetes can have to make hundreds of extra decisions in a day - so staying ‘in the moment’ or simply in the room can be challenging, as part of your brain can be wandering off thinking about insulin on board, what meals are coming next, what actiivity (and whether or not adjustments are going to be needed).

Might you be able to access counselling or similar support, alongside the pragmatic diabetes management training courses (which may also help in their own way!)

Thank you so much for your reply. Yes my anger although not (that often) is concerning me. What you wrote rings so many bells. I think I maybe am suffering from depression. You. Like to think your in control as best as you can be byt maybe I am not. This is seriously starting to effect my engagement and my fiance is now doubting how she feels about me. She has been so supportive I just feel so angry about diabetes. It's beating me.

Thank you so much for your reply. Yes my anger although not (that often) is concerning me. What you wrote rings so many bells. I think I maybe am suffering from depression. You. Like to think your in control as best as you can be byt maybe I am not.

Recognising that you want to change is a massive first step. So well done for being aware of how your mental state has changed, and how that is impacting those you care about.

Change is possible - it is sometimes a painful process, and will take effort and commitment, but you can do it 🙂

Hi Spence. Sorry to hear you're going through the mill with the type 1 at the moment. I think as others have said, the important thing is that you've identified your problem, and know you want to do something about it. I feel like that's the biggest step, really. Do you think you could speak to your team / GP about getting some help with the mental side of things?

I've been diagnosed almost two years (I was 37) so we're at almost comparable stages in our diagnosis journey. I'm still finding myself going though ups and downs with it, mentally. I too find myself drifting off thinking about the next injection/meal/round of exercise and how I'm going to tackle that. Injections and monitoring are the "easy" part! It has changed me as a person - and some of those changes have been positive. I've sought therapy for issues I've long struggled with, and I'm getting better at setting boundaries, and looking after my own mental health. But some days, weeks or even hours are just difficult, and I have noticed that I can get really quite angry and upset over things out of nowhere. I've always been emotional, but rarely angry.

So, you're not alone in this. Let it all out here, where you're among friends, and keep communicating with your fiance. They can never truly understand what we have to deal with, but the more open about it we are, the more they can try to support us.

Hi Spence. Sorry to hear you're going through the mill with the type 1 at the moment. I think as others have said, the important thing is that you've identified your problem, and know you want to do something about it. I feel like that's the biggest step, really. Do you think you could speak to your team / GP about getting some help with the mental side of things?

I've been diagnosed almost two years (I was 37) so we're at almost comparable stages in our diagnosis journey. I'm still finding myself going though ups and downs with it, mentally. I too find myself drifting off thinking about the next injection/meal/round of exercise and how I'm going to tackle that. Injections and monitoring are the "easy" part! It has changed me as a person - and some of those changes have been positive. I've sought therapy for issues I've long struggled with, and I'm getting better at setting boundaries, and looking after my own mental health. But some days, weeks or even hours are just difficult, and I have noticed that I can get really quite angry and upset over things out of nowhere. I've always been emotional, but rarely angry.

So, you're not alone in this. Let it all out here, where you're among friends, and keep communicating with your fiance. They can never truly understand what we have to deal with, but the more open about it we are, the more they can try to support us.
Thank you so much for your reply. It's nice to see other people when have the same mental and emotional issues. For me the drifting off is quite Common.my fiance often feels I am not as i the room with her even when I am sat next to her.

My fiance reckons ns I am suffering with depression. I have accepted my condition but maybe it effecting me more than I realise.

Guess they are probably right, first port of call is your Dr, they might suggest counselling or start you straight away on treatment for your depression.

Think for anyone who is prone to depression will find it hard to deal with type 1 on top of it as there's no time off from it, just don't let it linger on before reaching out for help @spence

Hi spence. Everything you describe is familiar to me. Disassociation, not being present, this was my everyday life. Zero energy, low mood and no interest in life basically. I’ve been diagnosed 3 years nearly and I’m just about on top of it, i had some pretty dark days but looking back it was just all part of the transition between who I was and who I am now. You WILL get there spence. Look forward to that day, because it will come.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back