Type 1 - Blood sugar levels when suffering from an infection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark (T1)

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi,
Earlier this week I came down with a heavy cold and blood sugar levels were spiking after food (up to 16 / 17 at points) and levels took a much longer time to drop back below 10. I typically take 5 units of Trurapi fast acting insulin before each meal. Should I be increasing this dose when you have an infection such as this?
Thanks, Mark

Thanks for your reply. I guess there are no rule of thumb as to the amount you should increase the dose by. Assume wind up the dose gradually and see what works?

Thanks for your reply. I guess there are no rule of thumb as to the amount you should increase the dose by. Assume wind up the dose gradually and see what works?

I don’t increase the dose normally (in case I go hypo - things can change quickly) but I do do correction doses. To correct, you need to know how much 1 unit of insulin lowers your blood sugar by. You also need to be careful not to ‘stack’ corrections - ie inject another correction when the first one is still working.

Are you on fixed doses of insulin? You say you typically take 5 units before each meal. Or are you carb counting and adjusting your mealtime insulin according to the carbs you’re about to eat @mjd123mjd ?

Sorry to hear your BG levels have increased with your illness @mjd123mjd

Different coughs and colds seem to affect my BG very differently, and there isn‘t always a straight-line between severity of the cold and amount of BG upheaval for me.

Some clinics provide ‘sick day rules’ for people with T1 as a useful guide for how to try to manage raised BG levels during illness.

This one is from the Leicester Diabetes Centre

The Sickday Rules flowchart is very useful and helps. Certainly at the right end of the infection now and BS levels are returning to a more normal level. Today have been able to keep levels within the 6 to 9 band all day, although still taking a higher dose of insulin before meals and for my basal dose. Really appreciate your replies. Thanks all for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back