Type 1 and statins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mumof1

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hey!
Looking for some advice/opinions from fellow type 1s. The last couple of check ups I have had with my diabetic nurse she has discussed with me about taking statins. My cholesterol has never been an issue and touch wood so far have had no problems in relation to my diabetes.
She did point out that they were now advising it as precautionary and when I hit 40 they really push for type 1s to take them.
I really am not keen to take more meds but would really like fellow type 1s opinions on this!

Hi Mumof1, T2 sticking my oar in (sorry).

My GP offered me statins when I had a medicine review with him and my lipids are ok now.

The NICE guidance is recommending it:
https://www.nice.org.uk/news/article/nice-recommends-wider-use-of-statins-for-prevention-of-cvd
"Patients with type 1 or type 2 diabetes should be offered 20mg atorvastatin for primary prevention of CVD"
and
"The new recommendations mean that an additional 4.5 million people could be eligible for statins, helping to prevent up to 28,000 heart attacks and 16,000 strokes each year"

so I expect we'll all get offered them in the future! I asked if I said no now, if that meant it was no forever, but he said I could revisit it. I also don't want to be taking loads of pills.
Sarah

I was offered statins because it is standard NICE advice for everyone with diabetes over the age of 40 regardless of any other risk factors.
However, I was lucky that my consultant explained this is based on studies done with people who have other risk factors such as excess weight. At the time there were no studies to evaluate the benefit of statins for people with diabetes who are otherwise fit and very active. As I attend the gym 4 or 5 times a week and walk other days, I declined. This is now on my records and I have not been offered statins since.

I'm constantly being pestered to take statins, despite vg bmi, and bg cholesterol. still resisting; there has been a lot written in the more informed press in prev yrs about this - inferring its a national scandal that does NOT stand up to scrutiny, never mind justifying giving GPs reward for getting people onto statins; the pharmaceutical industry have excellent financial benefit from keeping statins in the NHS agenda!

My personal mantra is no more chemicals into my body than is absolutely essential. I appreciate that there are chemicals in everything we breathe and eat, unless you grow everything yourself and even then some of those chemicals are still unavoidable

Was advised to take statins despite really good cholesterol levels, did bit of own research & come to conclusion that they are safe to take, very few people get side effects & they certainly help protect cardiovascular health.

Took artovastatin for few months then stopped taking them, reason being missed taking tab for few nights & never started them again, didn't get any side effects whatsoever so wouldn't hesitate to take them again should need arise.

I was offered statins last year having been told I didn't need them at diagnosis 3 years ago. I am fitter, healthier and slimmer since then and my cholesterol levels have come down a bit and if it wasn't for having diabetes, my age and sex I wouldn't be offered them. I can't do anything about those factors but I resent the suggestion that I should take medication as a result of them, when I am otherwise fit and healthy, so I refused. I don't want to take tablets to "protect me" when there is no indication that I need them.
Like @helli's consultant, I think/suspect there may be a considerable "weighting factor" in the risk calculator for diabetes, due to many people with Type 2 being obese. If I can stay fit and healthy and within a normal BMI range and take regular exercise/physical activity then I believe that I may actually be less at risk that many other women my age.... because my diabetes diagnosis encourages me to look after myself.
I feel quite bad about going against NHS advice but since my diagnosis I am starting to realise that the NHS is not always right with the advice it gives and it is worth doing your own research on things which affect your health and making your own mind up about what is right for your body, not what might be best for the majority of people, who may or may not be similar to you.

Pete always tells people including docs that he reckons statins cost us over £100k since due to the side effects I had, I had to pack in work and retire early. When he told the GP he happened to see when this came up, GP listened and prescribed Ezetimibe instead, and all the tests he's has since then, his chol's been fine as have his liver and kidneys.

I was put on Metformin and Atorvastatin at diagnosis and in a few weeks was thinking I would need a nursing home before long. At five weeks I was becoming suicidal and just before Christmas 2016 I did the shopping twice - leaving one lot in the car forgotten for a couple of days. It was over a year before my body stopped aching, and I spent many hours going over my songs to relearn them. I still do not have the confidence to sing from memory - and my voice is very altered even after 5 years.
I am still pestered to take a statin even though it affected my memory so drastically - but it is not recorded on my notes so it never hapened.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back