Type 1 and alcohol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charl

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Any tips , is it correct have something to eat before going for a drink or possibly grab something whilst having a drink, should I be checking my bloods after having a drink before bed, I can never recall alcohol lowering my readings it's usually the other way, should I have cards before bed just incase, any suggestions.....Cheers

I think the conventional wisdom is that you should eat carbs before, during and after a few drinks. Alcohol disrupts your liver releasing glucose and that can lead to an overnight hypo, or the next day. Having said that, I don't do all that myself but will usually eat something after being out for a drink. I guess it all depends on what you drink as well, given that certain drinks contain carbs and others don't, although carb containing drinks usually only increase BG in the short term. I'd say keep a close eye on it - everyone is different.

I just monitor my bg carefully when I am drinking, I find it all very unpredictable - sometimes my bg will act like I haven't had a drink at all and behave as 'normal', other times it goes low, other times a bit high. I suppose it depends on circumstance and what you have to drink (e.g. drinking spirits and diet mixers whilst dancing might have a different effect to sitting round having a few glasses of wine with a meal). I have had probably one of my worst hypos ever whilst drunk, but at the time thought I had just had too much (quite early in diagnosis, I am far more careful now - luckily I was with good friends who made sure I was okay). So my advice would be to enjoy your self and just keep an eye on everything! 🙂

It depends what you drink and how tolerant you are.
The things to remember are
  • many alcoholic drinks contain carbs especially beer, cider and mixers (unless you have diet versions), As a result, you may see your levels rise as you are drinking.
  • our liver does not like alcohol - it sees it as toxic so focuses on getting rid of it in preference to other things such as dripping glucose. AS a result you may see your bg lower for the next 24 hours (or at least over night)
How your body reacts is what is important. So it may take some trial and learning.
I do not abstain but I definitely built up my tolerance again when I was diagnosed with diabetes.

The other thing to remember is that someone with a hypo could appear the same to others as a drunk person. So make sure your friends know about your diabetes and that you check you blood sugars.

Any tips , is it correct have something to eat before going for a drink or possibly grab something whilst having a drink, should I be checking my bloods after having a drink before bed, I can never recall alcohol lowering my readings it's usually the other way, should I have cards before bed just incase, any suggestions.....Cheers

Do you have lubre 2, if so next time you have a drink set low alarm wee bit higher during night to alert you if your bg drops, if it does then you may need some carbs before bed.

Find red wine & whisky doesn't affect my bg at all, bg can be near enough same from going to bed till morning, think our bodies can respond differently to alcohol.

Diabetes UK made a couple of videos a few years back with some general pointers

Part 1

Part 2

It’s wise to be careful and keep your wits about you - especially until you learn how your body responds to the challenge of alcohol, and how much your BG is affected when you drink (and the day after!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back