Two years on - one step forward, two steps back?

Pidgeonpost

Relationship to Diabetes
At risk of diabetes
It's almost 2 years since my GP practice pinged me as prediabetic with a HbA1c of 43. The next 6 months saw me making some pretty major changes to my diet as far as carbs were concerned. This resulted in me losing around a Stone, or 6.3Kg which saw the level drop to 41.

In June '23 I was up again to 43, and when tested last week I was 46 despite having lost another Stone. Heading in the wrong direction, but hopefully recoverable before I acquire full Type 2 status. The summer months are busy, and I must admit I've relaxed a bit, perhaps too much. It's too easy to grab a sandwich or something similar when in a rush. "Must try harder" was a frequent comment on my school reports.

While trying to remain focused on this, I'm also on low dose blood pressure meds and the GP practice has been pushing me to start taking statins (Atorvastatin) for the last few years. I have so far declined, but they say I should really consider it seriously, largely based on my age (nearly 76). I'm half expecting a 'sales job' call from the Surgery next week. I've read and heard so many stories about the potential side-effects of these drugs, including on this forum, that I'd really like to avoid them, especially if my efforts to remain prediabetic or better fail and I'm having to take Metformin or similar. Feeling a bit stressed at the moment.

Hi, I see in your signature you are watching your carbs intake. Relaxing a bit is understandable, and potentially relaxing a bit too much can happen, but you can pick this up and turn it around.
I also had must try harder on my reports 😳

Is your cholesterol high, or is your GP pushing statins purely due to a combination of age, blood sugar and blood pressure? Accepting statins is a purely personal choice. If cholesterol is high you may be able to reduce it without meds.

You're right, I'm watching carbs but have always been prone to putting weight on easily; a fondness for the wrong things I guess.
My Patient records going back to 2014 show HDL ratios 3.9 (2014), 3.6 (2016), 4.0 (2018), 3.3 (2023), all these in mmol/mmol. There is only one reference to LDL cholesterol level and that was 2.5 mmol/L in 2014.
I can't remember the thresholds at present so must look them up. Rather frustrated that they make no reference to HDL/LDL levels in my latest blood test done only last Tuesday - unless they refer to them in other terms these days. I am on 4mg of Perindopril to control my blood pressure.

I also have a fondness for the wrong things, I have to admit I'm not in the mood to eat the right thing tonight :(

British heart foundation webpage has cholesterol info here
As I understand it GP's are pushing statins more for anyone with diabetes. You can raise the query with them of why they want you to have them, that way at least you are making an informed choice.
(I was offered statins, and like you I declined them).

Your blood glucose level is at an acceptable level for someone of your age and your low carb approach is maintaining that, if your concern is putting on weight then upping your exercise if you can may help a bit.
Unless your cholesterol has suddenly increased then those levels don't look too bad, they like people to be under 4 total cholesterol but sometimes the ratios are just as important. Many people do take statins with no problem but it is up to you whether to take them or not but do your research before making a decision.

Hope you are able to find some modest tweaks and changes to your menu to help steer things back to the levels you’ve seen earlier.

The research evidence to support statins being offered to anyone with diabetes is well established, and the benefits are well known. The positive effect of reducing LDL levels is cumulative over years, and the body can make any cholesterol it needs to function properly. Most people can take statins without any problems, or can find an alternative that suits them. We do have a few members who react badly to them and have been advised to use other strategies.

Have a chat with your GP or nurse and chat through any concerns you may have.

After having been a little uncertain about them for me as an individual for a while I began taking a low dose statin a few years back. Absolutely no problems at all, and the only effect I have observed is that all components of my lipid panel are now in the recommended ranges 🙂

Back