Two health trusts battle deficits as NHS financial worries worsen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
ANOTHER NHS trust in the region has been ordered to take urgent action to repair a massive hole in its finances as a second yesterday revealed the scale of the challenge it faces after plunging into the red.

Regulator Monitor has told the South Tees Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, serving 125,000 people in North Yorkshire, to tackle failings in finances, leadership and infection control.

It comes after bosses at the Barnsley NHS Foundation Trust were last month ordered to draw up a turnaround plan after a whistleblower exposed still unspecified “financial irregularities” only weeks after its directors were assured it was on course to return a surplus. It ran up a £7.4m deficit in 2013-14 and yesterday said it is expecting to be £11.9m in the red this year.

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news...its-as-nhs-financial-worries-worsen-1-6707277

I wonder how big the NHS debt mountain is if all the trusts debts are added together. I also wonder how much of it is due to those expensive PFI agreements New Labour were getting them all to sign up to.

I wonder how big the NHS debt mountain is if all the trusts debts are added together. I also wonder how much of it is due to those expensive PFI agreements New Labour were getting them all to sign up to.

I wish all political parties would stop messing with the NHS :( How many billions have been wasted over the years with perpetual reorganisations and restructuring?

I wish all political parties would stop messing with the NHS :( How many billions have been wasted over the years with perpetual reorganisations and restructuring?

I would guess lots. I also think that the last round has been done to save the NHS from competition laws and block bidding by big corporations for work. By fragmenting the commissioning they have made it less desirable for big business mainly the large french and German health care companies. Whether by design or pure accident I concluded it to be good.

I also think that Labours £20 billion reduction in the NHS budget would have been achieved by allowing that block bidding for business effectively privatizing the NHS on a far greater scale to what we currently have.

I agree though that it should be left alone and also wish that it wasn't used as a political football.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back