Two and a half months in!

Status
Not open for further replies.

IrvineHimself

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
So, it's roughly two and a half months since I was confirmed Type 2 diabetic, and a lot has changed. Previously, I had a small first aid kit and would marvel at the amount of medications my peers were taking. All in all, I hadn't been to a Doctor in years and, while I suspected I was diabetic, I thought [for my age] I was in reasonably good health.

Now, after two emergency visits to the hospital, I am down at the Doctors about once a week. In addition, I have a very impressive seven day pill box: A deluxe backpackers model, it is waterproof with nested; removable; four compartment daily dispensers. The daily dispensers are also waterproof and fit nicely in a pocket. The truly shocking thing is that, when freshly charged, all the compartments are fully utilised.

I am sticking to my diet and aiming to keep my carb intake between 150 and 200 grams. [The Doc recommended 250 grams.] Also, rather than using my old persons bus pass, I am walking a lot more and, what with the cost of living crisis [which is truly shocking], I am ranging further afield in search of bargain veg, fish, meat and dairy products. The upshot of all this is: I have lost just under 10 kg.

You can see it my face. But also, whereas previously my belly was taught, I can now pinch a couple of inches of flab. In fact, since they no longer fit and were falling down around my ankles, I had to replace my underwear. Ditto my denims, though, with all the extra pressure on my finances, for the moment I am making do with several extra notches in my belt.

My stamina has also noticeably improved. During the first lock-down, in order to set up a decontamination area and maintain sterile surfaces, I gave my squat a deep clean. It took me a couple of days, involved a lot of very unnatural sweat and required me to stop every 5 minutes to recover. Anyway, I happened to meet one of my patrons while out shopping and mentioned in passing that the biggest problem with my diet was storing food. As it turns out, unbeknownst to me, my patron is a volunteer at a settlement project recycling white goods. When he heard my problem, he offered to get me a fridge/freezer.

In preparation, I started to clean up a space in my squat. What with my Asperger's, as is often the case, this cleaning took on a life of it's own: In view of my imminent retirement, I decided to give my place a thorough clean. Believe me, this is several orders of magnitude deeper than the deep clean of the first lock-down. Anyway, like I say, my stamina has improved to the point where I can work for an hour or two without having to stop for a rest, and while, on occasion, I do sweat, it is not an un-natural/unhealthy sweat.

So, as you can see, I think I am making progress.
Irvine

I should say you are making progress Irvine! Well done you.

Well done @IrvineHimself
Good to hear that your diagnosis has had such a positive impact on your general health.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back