Twice Daily Injections

Status
Not open for further replies.

kitten

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi all 🙂
anyone on a mixed daily insulin regieme that has good or reasonable control on it? Could you be so kind as to tell me what you do that works for you? In pm if you dont want to post it publicly. Thank you so very much .

Hi Kitten,

I'm not anymore, but I used to be on Insulatard in the morning and Mixtard30 in the evenings. I did get quite good control on it (HbA1c 7.0) but changed to MDI as I wanted to be more flexible with meal times.

Thinking back, the way I got it to work was to be consistent with meal portions and times. So I learnt to count carbs, and every day made sure that breakfast (7.30am) was roughly 50g carbs, 10g carbs at 10.30, 60g carbs at 12.30, 20g carbs at 3.30 and about 70g carbs for dinner (7pm). Then about 15g carbs as supper before bed. This was very important - if I missed this I hypoed in the night. At first the DSN called every few days to check my BG readings and upped or lowered a dose by 2U until readings were within target range without excessive hypos. But I still had hypos if I delayed a meal or snack, or if I exercised more than usual - even running for a bus!

As I say, I did get good control (HBA1c better than current on MDI!) BUT I would say my quality of life was worse - too regimented, and stressing about late meals and snacks. And if I went to something like a buffet or wedding then my levels were sky high all day as I always ate more than I meant to.

I know you have had terrible support lately, but the thing that is always said is that your regime should fit in around your life, not the other way round. If mixed insulins don't work for you then your team should be looking to put you back on something else ASAP.

Last edited:
Glad someone has been able to address the carb issue for you 🙂

Hi kitten I am currently on Novomix twice daily and it is a real pain. Im having good control however and my HB is 6.2. My DSN has sent a letter to my gp so I can get put on the DAFNE course as I want to switch to multiple injections as injecting twice daily just does not fit into my daily routine. I have had to change everything since diagnosis to fit around the injections and its very troublesome.
As to managing my BG' through the day I will eat breakfast,lunch and dinner at the same times everyday and have a snack two hours after lunch and something before bed.
I currently try and excersise every other day so this helps with the management and keeping myself motivated.
Hope you find a way of making the regime work for you. 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back