TV moment again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burylancs

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Watching Channel 5 this morning. A doc on answering questions about the latest on Statin recommendations let slip that losing weight could 'get rid of your diabetes'.

Another moment when the TV could have gone through the window

Last edited:
Why does that annoy you so much?

Watching Channel 5 this morning. A doc on answering questions about the latest on Statin recommendations let slip that losing weight could 'get rid of your diabetes'.

Well, personally, I am very glad the message is getting out there.
Hopefully it will become the mantra.

Even if it hadn't worked for me, I wouldn't be hoping to suppress it from those it could work for.

No treatment is ever going to have a 100% success rate.
And diabetes is certainty never going to 100% the same to everyone.
So, if it works for some, I am very pleased they are being made aware there is a chance to reverse type 2.

So ban mentioning it because it doesn't include everyone?

Paracetamol has no effect on me, I'm not protesting it should be taken off the shelves.

Maybe if the statement said that losing weight would cure some people with diabetes would be more accurate
Carol

Maybe if the statement said that losing weight would cure some people with diabetes would be more accurate
Carol
Nobody can be 'cured: of diabetes so the statement would be just as inaccurate, perhaps even worse Fake News.

Carol

"A doc on answering questions about the latest on Statin recommendations let slip that losing weight could 'get rid of your diabetes'."

...could get rid....

Not "will get rid", so indeed it was said that way according to @Burylancs

Np promises, no guarantees, just a possibly it "could" happen.

Surely it is important to get that message out there to give people hope and something positive they can try to change it. I know when I was first diagnosed I was determined that I was going to push it into remission if it was within my power to do so. As it turned out, it wasn't for me, but everyone should be encouraged to try surely? Yes I had a few tears when I was told that I would need insulin and I wasn't going to be able to change things, but then I just had to accept that the goal posts had moved and find a new challenge, which was to manage it as well as I can. I certainly don't begrudge anyone else having that chance of remission or think they should be prevented from trying to do so, by not being given the right information and encouragement.

Not sure what your issue is, Prof Taylors work is prove of it that some people can get rid of diabetes. Didn't see show but maybe Dr could have explained things further if time allowed.

Not sure what your issue is, Prof Taylors work is prove of it that some people can get rid of diabetes. Didn't see show but maybe Dr could have explained things further if time allowed.
Some people can get rid of type 2 diabetes.
My personal gripe is assuming it is the only type.

Some people can get rid of type 2 diabetes.
My personal gripe is assuming it is the only type.
It's a fair point. I'd probably get peeved also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back