Tuna Wars..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martin9

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi everybody peeps 🙂🙂
We are encouraged to eat oily fish, some I don't like much, some are ok, but I do like Tuna. I wonder does anyone here know which type of Tuna is best, Yellowfin, Bluefin, Skipjack or any other kinds I might not have heard of yet.
Does it matter, what kind..?🙄

I like it all 😉. Had massive tuna steaks in the Seychelles🙂. Inch thick 😉 Enjoy Martin9

I like it all 😉. Had massive tuna steaks in the Seychelles🙂. Inch thick 😉 Enjoy Martin9
Wondered if there was any type better for diabetic diet tho' 😎

You need to eat fresh tuna, not canned, basically, if you want the benefit of the Omega 3 oils. These are either removed beforehand, or destroyed in the canning process.
I've just checked this, absolutely correct, I'm shocked tho' as I read tinned wasn't as good as fresh but still ok, but canning kills nearly all omega 3

Tinned salmon seems to keep it's omega 3, so I don't know what they do to tinned tuna to get rid of it. Fresh tuna is so much better anyway. I'm not up on my different tuna types though. I also like mackerel, sardines & pilchards.

I eat both fresh & tinned salmon, but bit shocked at tinned tuna ,which I love to eat..

Good question Martin. Could be interesting and useful to know. You could email the Fisheries Dept and check with them for some definitive info.

Tinned tuna is the odd one out, with it loosing the omega 3. There's nothing *wrong* with tinned tuna. It just doesn't have omega 3. I think someone once said it was because it was cooked twice. Tinned salmon (which is more expensive) still have omega 3 I believe.

As for type of tuna, I don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back