Tubeless pumps absorbing differences

Status
Not open for further replies.

CasperL

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hello everyone. I’ve just started on the nano patch pump after using a tubed pump for 10 years. The advantage is I can wear it on different parts of my body, not only my tummy where I always wore my previous pumps. Has anyone noticed a difference in absorption of insulin when using a patch pump on their leg? My blood sugars are rising after attaching it to my leg.

Just like on injections insulin absorbs slower in legs compared to stomach, so you might need to use longer prebolus time before eating.

Use patch pump myself occasionally use legs.

Just like on injections insulin absorbs slower in legs compared to stomach, so you might need to use longer prebolus time before eating.

Use patch pump myself occasionally use legs.
Thanks for the advice. Is it the same when you place it on your arm?

Arms are usually about the same as stomach for absorption rate I believe, but as with everything diabetes related, your body may respond differently.
I am quite surprised that you always put your cannula in your stomach for your tubed pump as I am sure I have read that people find that a tubed pump allows them more options for cannula sites because the cannulas are smaller and you can get tubing of various lengths to accommodate where you apply them and where you carry or strap the pump.

Hi @CasperL - Yes! A massive difference. Up in the 16s an hour after a meal that would usually have me in range. In fact, I never use my legs anymore. It's horrific watching a decent TIR being destroyed by bad absorption, eek! o_O😉

Best place for my Omnipod is around my middle - sides, back or front. As for my arms, just slightly less efficient than around my middle, so I'm happy to use them too.

I have always avoided using my legs because the absorption rate will greatly increase when you use your legs. So they are not ideal if you are planning going for a run or cycle ride.
Likewise, I would not use my arms if I was playing racket sports or climbing.

Hello everyone. I’ve just started on the nano patch pump after using a tubed pump for 10 years. The advantage is I can wear it on different parts of my body, not only my tummy where I always wore my previous pumps. Has anyone noticed a difference in absorption of insulin when using a patch pump on their leg? My blood sugars are rising after attaching it to my leg.

You can/could have put a tubed pump cannula in other body areas not just your tummy. I have a tubed pump and use my thighs a lot, and my bum. My preferred site is my thighs. The only time I need to adjust my basal is when I use my bum. I need more basal there, probably due to absorption. Tummy is usually faster than legs so that might be the issue.

Thanks for the advice. Is it the same when you place it on your arm?

Find arms are good but fastest absorption is stomach, sides are same & have really good absorption around back but it's not most comfortable area to place pod.

I am quite surprised that you always put your cannula in your stomach for your tubed pump as I am sure I have read that people find that a tubed pump allows them more options for cannula sites because the cannulas are smaller and you can get tubing of various lengths to accommodate where you apply them and where you carry or strap the pump.
You get more options for cannula sights with a tubey pump but still have to find somewhere to attach your pump whilst keeping the tube out of the way.
For example, if you have a cannula on your leg, you have to loop the tube up to your waistband or pocket. i can imagine the knots I would get it in when I went to the toilet.
I have definitely found it easier to use more sites with a patch pump because I don’t have to worry about the tube.

This makes a lot more sense when you have personal experience rather than reading other people’ thoughts with no pictures.

I think it depends on body shape and size and personal preference. I find my thigh easier tube-wise than my tummy because I almost always wear my pump in a Hid-in belt around my waist. When I use my thigh for a cannula site, I run the tube inside the side of my knickers and it stays there nicely without getting tangled or getting in the way when going to the toilet. I generally have a medium length tube. When I use my stomach for sites, the tubing is outside my knickers. It took me a while to work that out when I first used my thighs many years ago. A change to a new body area just requires a little thought. Pumps are pretty flexible (both tubed and patch).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back