Trying to get a pump

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I am a type one diabetic and i had my appointment with my consultant on Tuesday i asked him if it would be possible for me to start using a pump to try to gain better control of my diabetes. He told me that i could but it may take about a year to get the funding for it. I would like to know if anyone else has had to wait such a long time before they started using a pump and if not is there anything i can do to speed up this process. Thanks

they are a few on here on pumps i think they may be a couple of threads floating around, sorry i cant help but i wish you luck with the pump Steve x

Good luck for the pump, as Steff said there are several threads about getting and using pumps, so look through.

I am a type one diabetic and i had my appointment with my consultant on Tuesday i asked him if it would be possible for me to start using a pump to try to gain better control of my diabetes. He told me that i could but it may take about a year to get the funding for it. I would like to know if anyone else has had to wait such a long time before they started using a pump and if not is there anything i can do to speed up this process. Thanks

Hi Steve

It depends on a couple of things: if you are eligible (see NICE guidelines) and what area of the country you are in, are there other people nearby on pumps? (Not that this should matter at all, but could show how difficult it could be) If the consultant agrees you need a pump then the PCT has to fund it. But, as you say, that could take a while, although up to a year? I don't know about this.....

http://www.input.me.uk/ Is a brilliant website. John Davies or Lesley will be able to help you (i hope!)

It shouldn't take that long, if you are eligible and your consultant agrees thenas Becca says the PCT has to fund it, some people start to finish can be a couple of months.
What might take a year in your case could be that they want you to go on a carb counting course, some hospitals make it a requirement that you've done their course (even if you are already carb counting) and there may be a wait to get on the course. Then there may be only 1 nurse who can do the pump training, and if there are quite a few people getting pumps they may only be able to train a certain number of people at a time.

I would get back in contact and find out exactly what is going to take the time and what the process is that you need to go through

Hi Steve, I dont think we have chatted before so I shall say "hi"!🙂

You have been given some really good advice in this thread by Nikki and Becca already so i dont have a great deal to add. However, I cannot emphasize enough contacting John Davis at Input. Many people experience problems, sadly your experience is not uncommon.

You may just want to suss out the vibe of what others experiences. On the input website there is an email group, it has quite a few people in but a common theme is people thinking of pumping or who need tips to get them through the process. As bizarre as it seems, i would say at times I was "coached" through the process, but knowing some of the right things to say definately was helpful.

Another useful one is if you are on facebook. John has a new group set up recently, another way of either making contact or just accessing some info. I lurke in and out of these places once in while incase you think there are familar faces!

Good luck Steve. I have had the pump for exactly one month so extremely new to the whole experience but enjoying it a lot. I, like you, (no offense intended) but didnt have good control and I am certainly optomistic this could really change my diabetes. The process can be tormenting at times but I hope you can get the ball rolling.

All the best,

Lou x

Hi and good luck with getting a pump Steve , if its what you want then fight for it , once they all know you are serious and not going away I dont think it would take a year to get one :confused: maybe that was a tactic used to see how serious you were about it ? or maybe Im just sceptical 🙄

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back