Trying to change to reduce Glucose

Status
Not open for further replies.

itsonlyme

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Been diabetic for a few years, but it's starting to go up Hbaic is now 57 so made some cahnges and wanted to ask if you think they will be ok.

Weetabix or porridge with just semi milk
Broccoli and pork steaks or sausage
Mushrooms
Greek yogurt with fresh fruit
Diabetic treats with peanut butter cranberry and pumpkin seeds and fruit
Give up bread and potatoes
Fresh fruit Apples pears blue berries raspberries grapes green and red cherries
Salad with fresh ham and boiled eggs

OK, just a few thoughts.
All cereals are high in carbs, even Weetabix and porridge. I occasionally have a small portion (25gm only) but mostly I avoid cereals.
I cut right down on bread and potatoes, but I still have the occasional small portions. For example, 1 medium slice from a 400gm wholemeal loaf, or 2 new potatoes.
The best fruits are berries. I have been told grapes and cherries are sugar bombs. Apples and pears are medium carbs - I personally can't eat them.

I have Weetabix for breakfast, but only one, or 20g of oats, which is about the same amount of carbs as one Weetabix, both with plain Greek yogurt and a mix of berries.

I sometimes have half an apple with a handful of walnuts but never cherries, grapes or pears.

I do eat sausages sometimes but always get them from a local butcher rather than buy branded ones.

What do you mean by diabetic treats?

The rest of what you've mentioned looks OK to me and a lot of it features in my diet.

You could include eggs and cheese in your menu, many more vegetables and salads will give you more variety.
Sugarfree jelly with berries or Kvarg deserts if you fancy a pudding.
Check out the carbs on sausages as they do vary quite a bit but some are only 4g carbs for 2 sausages but some as much as 8 or 10g carbs.
Check this link for more ideas, https://lowcarbfreshwell.co.uk/ or the menu suggestions on the main DUK site.

My advice would be to stay away from diabetic treats. I was sent a load of diabetic friendly biscuits once, they had more carbs than regular biscuits with the added bonus of enough artificial sweetener to ensure I could not leave the bathroom for several days

You could include eggs and cheese in your menu, many more vegetables and salads will give you more variety.
Sugarfree jelly with berries or Kvarg deserts if you fancy a pudding.
Check out the carbs on sausages as they do vary quite a bit but some are only 4g carbs for 2 sausages but some as much as 8 or 10g carbs.
Check this link for more ideas, https://lowcarbfreshwell.co.uk/ or the menu suggestions on the main DUK site.
Yes i do eat eggs carrots peas all sorts of veg

My advice would be to stay away from diabetic treats. I was sent a load of diabetic friendly biscuits once, they had more carbs than regular biscuits with the added bonus of enough artificial sweetener to ensure I could not leave the bathroom for several days
my wife makes them

I have Weetabix for breakfast, but only one, or 20g of oats, which is about the same amount of carbs as one Weetabix, both with plain Greek yogurt and a mix of berries.

I sometimes have half an apple with a handful of walnuts but never cherries, grapes or pears.

I do eat sausages sometimes but always get them from a local butcher rather than buy branded ones.

What do you mean by diabetic treats?

The rest of what you've mentioned looks OK to me and a lot of it features in my diet.
Treat are ones my wife makes

Yes i do eat eggs carrots peas all sorts of veg
Carrots and peas are higher carb than other veg, for example broccoli, cauliflower or green beans. A portion of each on your plate could easily add up to15-20g carb. I'll eat small portions of carrot, especially grated on a salad, but rarely peas.

I'd strongly recommend that all T2s purchase a blood glucose meter so that you can test levels before & after eating specific foods. Over a period of time that will tell you what your body can & can't tolerate. You can also then use it for periodic testing to monitor general levels, rather than only getting them from HbA1c tests. If you see levels start to rise you can address it early, rather than maybe six months to a year down the line when you get the next HbA1c.

Case in point:
After 10+ years of good control, Covid sent my levels through the roof. Having no meter I was unaware of this & assumed that my chronic fatigue was down to the widely reported symptoms of post-Covid. In fact I was going into DKA & was eventually sent to A&E with ketones 10x what they should be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back