Trulicity pen

Status
Not open for further replies.

leehoo

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi, I am new to Diabetes uk. I would like some advice or to hear other people's experiance of Trulicity. I have had 4 injections now and continue to experience nausea, retching and flatulance. I have dull pain under my diaphram. I feel exhausted and frankly want to discontinue with this medication. I have an appointment with the diabetic nurse this Wednesday but feel very negative about Trulicity. Has anyone else struggled with Trulicity and does anyone know if there are alternative medication that doesnt cause such awful side effects? Thank you 🙂

Welcome to the forum
There are a few people who I believe have tried or are on this medication so they may be able to comment. A bit more information about your situation would help. What is your HbA1C and how long have you been diagnosed, are you on any other diabetes medication, do you have weight to lose. Also have you made any dietary changes since diagnosis.
Sorry for all the questions but it does help people tailor their comments.

Hi and welcome

I believe @Lucyr is/was using Ozempic which I think is similar. Hopefully she will correct me if i am wrong.
I believe the nausea is a common side effect but it sounds like your side effects after 4 weeks are not getting any easier, so definitely time to discuss the situation with your nurse.

I too would ask what else you have tried to manage your diabetes and what your most recent HbA1c was? For many of us reducing our carb intake has had a massive impact and there is also the Newcastle/Fast 800 route of very low calorie short term diet to lose weight and tackle it that way. Neither work for everyone but both have quite high success rates, so definitely worth giving a go if you haven't already.
I find the low carb higher fat way of eating helps control my eating disorder as well as improving my diabetes management. Add in a bit of exercise (like a brisk daily walk) and I feel 20 years younger and fit and strong, so would definitely recommend trying that.

I haven’t got any personal experience of Trulicity, but some members of a previous forum I belonged to found that drinking ginger tea helped with the nausea. Basically just grate some raw ginger root into a cup and scald it with boiling water before drinking.

Welcome to the forum
There are a few people who I believe have tried or are on this medication so they may be able to comment. A bit more information about your situation would help. What is your HbA1C and how long have you been diagnosed, are you on any other diabetes medication, do you have weight to lose. Also have you made any dietary changes since diagnosis.
Sorry for all the questions but it does help people tailor their comments.
Hba1c was 8 last time, 10 years type 2 and om Metform as well 3 tabs a day. Thank you,

I haven’t got any personal experience of Trulicity, but some members of a previous forum I belonged to found that drinking ginger tea helped with the nausea. Basically just grate some raw ginger root into a cup and scald it with boiling water before drinking.
Thank you, i will try that.

Hba1c was 8 last time, 10 years type 2 and om Metform as well 3 tabs a day. Thank you,
Your HbA1C when converted into the new units puts you at 64mmol/mol which is well into the diabetic zone. That is still quite high given that you are on metformin so you might want to review your dietary regime to try to reduce your intake of carbohydrates. If you haven't already got one then a blood glucose monitor which you can use at home to test if there are some particular meals and foods which your body is struggling to tolerate as that is going to be a major factor in keeping your levels so high. Metformin just helps the body use the insulin it produces more effectively but is not a magic bullet and dietary changes are still needed.

Your HbA1C when converted into the new units puts you at 64mmol/mol which is well into the diabetic zone. That is still quite high given that you are on metformin so you might want to review your dietary regime to try to reduce your intake of carbohydrates. If you haven't already got one then a blood glucose monitor which you can use at home to test if there are some particular meals and foods which your body is struggling to tolerate as that is going to be a major factor in keeping your levels so high. Metformin just helps the body use the insulin it produces more effectively but is not a magic bullet and dietary changes are still needed.
Thank you for the advise, My wife is a Nurse and my diet is very good, although i do like a drink. Which i have cut down a lot. 🙂

Your diet might be very good for a non diabetic person but it is likely that either visceral fat is preventing your pancreas and liver from working effectively or you are eating too many carbs for your body to cope with. If I had a choice between taking medication which made me feel ill and adjusting my diet to reduce my blood glucose levels, I would do the latter.

No offence intended but sadly your wife being a nurse may actually not be helpful because the NHS is indoctrinated with the low fat, wholegrain carbohydrate, fruit and veg "eatwell" plate which is fine for healthy people but not ideal for Type 2s. Many of us here follow a low carb, higher fat way of eating which reduces BG levels, reduces the amount of food we actually need to eat because the fat is slower to digest and provides slow release energy and surprisingly leads to weight loss. For many of us, it has also led to a drop in cholesterol levels and feeling fitter and healthier than we have in years.....as well as good diabetes management often without medication.

Your diet might be very good for a non diabetic person but it is likely that either visceral fat is preventing your pancreas and liver from working effectively or you are eating too many carbs for your body to cope with. If I had a choice between taking medication which made me feel ill and adjusting my diet to reduce my blood glucose levels, I would do the latter.

No offence intended but sadly your wife being a nurse may actually not be helpful because the NHS is indoctrinated with the low fat, wholegrain carbohydrate, fruit and veg "eatwell" plate which is fine for healthy people but not ideal for Type 2s. Many of us here follow a low carb, higher fat way of eating which reduces BG levels, reduces the amount of food we actually need to eat because the fat is slower to digest and provides slow release energy and surprisingly leads to weight loss. For many of us, it has also led to a drop in cholesterol levels and feeling fitter and healthier than we have in years.....as well as good diabetes management often without medication.
Thank you 🙂

Hello. I haven’t taken trulicity but I do take ozempic. I wonder if it’s a similar thing to ozempic, where it can take at least a month to get used to the side effects. Because the dose is once a week (is trulicity once a week too?) it builds up in your body really slowly, and takes a month to get to full strength. Those first four weeks you gradually have more of it working in you each week. If it’s been more than a month with side effects continuing though then I would speak to someone about it.

Hello. I haven’t taken trulicity but I do take ozempic. I wonder if it’s a similar thing to ozempic, where it can take at least a month to get used to the side effects. Because the dose is once a week (is trulicity once a week too?) it builds up in your body really slowly, and takes a month to get to full strength. Those first four weeks you gradually have more of it working in you each week. If it’s been more than a month with side effects continuing though then I would speak to someone about it.
Hi Yes i think Ozempic is similar, Seen the nurse today having blood tests for pancreatitis, which can be a side effect. She has taken me off it for now. 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back