Trooper runs for daughter, diabetes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
When you tell people you're swimming, biking and running nearly 250 miles in two days, a lot of interesting questions pop up: What if you get tired? What if you can't find a bathroom? Do you really like to swim that much?

Ron Arthur has heard all of those and more as he prepares for his journey from Cheat Lake to Marshall University this week, with the goal of bringing awareness to a condition shared by his 6-year-old daughter, Madi, and as many as 30,000 newly diagnosed Americans every year.

"My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 juvenile diabetes about three weeks before an Ironman competition I was doing last October," said Arthur, a West Virginia State Trooper by profession who has competed in 15 to 20 triathlons. "At that point, nothing else really mattered at all except her. But, I thought, I almost have to go on with it because I have to show her life goes on and you're going to do everything you were going to do before.

http://www.herald-dispatch.com/news/briefs/x876656794/Trooper-runs-for-daughter-diabetes

It's only Americans who try to find a bathroom when out and about. Most people just find a toilet (the presence / absence of bath is irrelevant, and latrines don't even have water, let alone bath!) tree / rock behind which to pee - and after several days in the wilderness, you'll go behind a blade of grass / pebble 🙂

However, rules about nudity / exposure are strict for triathlons, so they have chemical toilets everywhere, and adventure races provide chemical toilets at transitions where there are no WCs ....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back