Triptorelin and diabetes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sunshine81

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Help! Diagnosed around 3 months ago, on triptorelin post breast cancer. Had injection 2 weeks ago and obviously my sugars are misbehaving as it increases your insulin resistance. I'm on maximum metformin and basal bolus (type 1) but I can't quite figure out how to make adjustments. My body takes ages to respond to insulin, so will sit around 14 mmols/L for several hours, but then will try to randomly hypo 6 hrs later (normally just before dinner). Any advice greatly appreciated.

Do the highs occur at specific times @Sunshine81 ? Eg after meals? Have you been given any advice about increasing your basal or changing your meal time ratios?

Definitely after meals. I have the injections every 3 months and this is the first one since being diagnosed. Haven't had any specific advice apart from agreeing that we will need to increase my insulin, but by how much is still very much unknown. I was just getting a handle on my ratios before the injection. Had been 1 unit for 20g. Now I'm guessing 1 unit to 15g, but who knows!

I would make cautious changes. Gradually increase your ratios. Do one meal at a time eg breakfast. You could also look at injecting earlier for the meal. Move your bolus 5 mins earlier, try that, then move another 5 mins earlier if necessary.. Insulin resistance often needs an earlier bolus as well as more insulin.

Last edited:
I agree with @Inka - it is something you will have to try to sort out yourself really since I don't suppose for a minute that all T1s would need the same adjustment. The other thing is to test test test, because there's absolutely no guarantee you'll need as much extra insulin all of the 3 months between the jabs. Have you been prescribed Libre by your diabetes team as yet? - if not I'd press for that because it's much less effort to do some of the tests!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back