Status
Not open for further replies.

Lily123

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Pronouns
She/Her
Hi all,

I’m off on a trip to The Somme and Ypres with school for history and just wanted to double check. All staff going know I’m diabetic and one of them is trained in the glucagon (hopefully not needed but better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it). I’ve got a letter from my PDSN in case security ask, both me and the lead teacher have a copy. I’ve got a EHIC just in case.

I’ll take more than I think I’ll need as always. We’re going by ferry from Dover to Calais. I know this isn’t diabetes related but no one I’ve spoken to have traveled out the country for a while,let alone with diabetes supplies. What can and can’t go through metal detectors/x ray scanners? And what about insulin? I use Dexcom G6.

TIA

Insulin is fine through the x ray.
Libre is ok through the x ray but I don’t know about Dexcom.
In general, pumps are ok through metal detectors (archways) but not necessarily ok through x rays.

In addition to the usual supplies, i recommended taking backup insulin pens in case your pump fails and plenty of test strips in case your CGM fails.

Enjoy your trip and history.

I don’t use a pump but thanks for the advice about x rays. I’m planning on taking a spare Dexcom and two boxes of test strips.

What can and can’t go through metal detectors/x ray scanners?
I think metal detectors are fine for everything, but I think manufacturers recommend against putting stuff through those body scanners. I've no idea about X-rays except that I've just let spare Libre sensors go through them without incident.

JDRF have some information, mostly for planes but if you're ready for airline travel then you'll be fine for what the ferries want: https://jdrf.org.uk/knowledge-support/living-with-type-1-diabetes/everyday-life/travelling/

(Make sure you're prepared for stupidly long waits at the ports. I'm sure they don't usually happen, but they can.)

I think metal detectors are fine for everything, but I think manufacturers recommend against putting stuff through those body scanners. I've no idea about X-rays except that I've just let spare Libre sensors go through them without incident.

JDRF have some information, mostly for planes but if you're ready for airline travel then you'll be fine for what the ferries want: https://jdrf.org.uk/knowledge-support/living-with-type-1-diabetes/everyday-life/travelling/

(Make sure you're prepared for stupidly long waits at the ports. I'm sure they don't usually happen, but they can.)
Thanks @Bruce Stephens

First bit will sound like your granny - for heavens sake - wear comfortable shoes! Lots of cobbles and suchlike around all the monuments, including where the Last Post Remembrance Service is held in Ypres - and that itself is very moving, so do make sure indeed that you have hankies. Seriously! There is a fair bit of walking involved with most of them.

Second bit is much more cheerful - Belgium has The Best Frites AND The Best Chocolate in Europe !!!

Thanks @Pumper_Sue I’ll give them a ring tomorrow.

Thanks @trophywench , I live in walking boots anyway so no issues there, we been told we’re allowed to stop for chocolate but nothing else

Regarding the crossing, we did it last year and we didn't get out of the car until we were in the ferry, there's no airport like security for the ferry or within the ferry itself.

Regarding the crossing, we did it last year and we didn't get out of the car until we were in the ferry, there's no airport like security for the ferry or within the ferry itself.
Interesting to know. Thanks. We’re travelling in 2 coaches

What a great opportunity @Lily123 . Such an experience.

It is not uncommon now for coach parties to have to disembark as they go through security now, and the passengers go through security individually. It is still very different from on planes and I have not seen full body scanners in use.

It sounds like you have got everything prepared. Not sure if anyone has mentioned ketostix, just in case you fall ill. The rest is as you suggested with double what you think you might need of sensors, strips, pen cartridges, …. Along with your letter and a spare pen.

Let us know how it goes and make the most of the trip.

What a great opportunity @Lily123 . Such an experience.

It is not uncommon now for coach parties to have to disembark as they go through security now, and the passengers go through security individually. It is still very different from on planes and I have not seen full body scanners in use.

It sounds like you have got everything prepared. Not sure if anyone has mentioned ketostix, just in case you fall ill. The rest is as you suggested with double what you think you might need of sensors, strips, pen cartridges, …. Along with your letter and a spare pen.

Let us know how it goes and make the most of the trip.
Thanks for the info @SB2015 and @Carlos , I’ll take a spare sensor as well

@Lily123, if you happen to have a spare Libre 2 take that as well. Then in the unlikely event of G6 or its app deciding they don't want to work in France then you have a completely different fallback option. Do you have a G6 Receiver or just the app on your phone?

@Lily123, if you happen to have a spare Libre 2 take that as well. Then in the unlikely event of G6 or its app deciding they don't want to work in France then you have a completely different fallback option. Do you have a G6 Receiver or just the app on your phone?
The Libre app worked fine in France and Spin last year, I don't think it is geofenced.

The Libre app worked fine in France and Spin last year, I don't think it is geofenced.
Yes Libre is fine wherever it is.

Dex G7 (which does have a geolocator) failed me in France last month and while Dexcom profusely apologised and repeatedly said it shouldn't have happened and had been rigorously tested against that scenario - the app did fail and they replaced the sensor plus an extra one. Yesterday after lengthy discussions I received a Receiver for G7 precedeed by a phone call saying how sorry they were. Of course they preferred to not put that in writing, ie not admit liability!

Yes Libre is fine wherever it is.

Dex G7 (which does have a geolocator) failed me in France last month and while Dexcom profusely apologised and repeatedly said it shouldn't have happened and had been rigorously tested against that scenario - the app did fail and they replaced the sensor plus an extra one. Yesterday after lengthy discussions I received a Receiver for G7 precedeed by a phone call saying how sorry they were. Of course they preferred to not put that in writing, ie not admit liability!
So dexcom don't expect their users to travel internationally? 😱

I don’t have a receiver, I only use my phone. I’ll have a look if I’ve got any spare Libres and give Dexcom a ring to ask. Thanks

I’ve travelled to Denmark without a glitch for G6 earlier this year, but not been anywhere else abroad in the past 4-5 years - unless you count Wales!

Hope you have a good trip @Lily123 and that your diabetes behaves itself and doesn’t take you out of the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back