Trigger finger and diabetes

Status
Not open for further replies.

andyp64

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi,
Over the last few months, I have developed trigger finger in the little finger of my non-dominant hand - and it surprisingly hurts quite a bit!
I have looked on the Internet and it's something that is yet-another diabetes-related thing (deep joy!).
Has anyone else any experience of this condition? If so, what's the treatment? (other than an axe....)
Regards
Andy

Hi @andyp64

Sorry you're dealing with trigger finger, yes it does hurt especially the nodule at the base of the affected finger.
I've had surgery to release 6 of my fingers - not all at once! The most I had done together was 2 fingers.

A steroid injection to reduce the inflammation is one option or surgery. The surgery was really effective and an instant relief - apart from the stitches which were removed a few weeks later. Hope you can get some help with it as it is a really annoying problem.

This is from the Diabetes UK site

Like @Flower I have had a few trigger fingers. I have had 6 fingers and both thumbs injected over the years since diagnosis with T1, only the little fingers seem to survive, so far. The injections have worked well temporarily, and reduced the size of the nodule, which is the lump that causes the issues as it tries to slide through the sheath for it. I have also had surgery on three fingers and both thumbs. There was an article in the DUK professional magazine Update about the links between T1 and this, along with other musculoskeletal things like Frozen Shoulder.

I am T2 and had trigger thumb a little while before diagnosed. It wasn't too painfull, just dis-comfort and difficulty using cutlery/pens etc. I rubbed devils claw gel on it twice a day and after a couple of months it went away.

Trigger finger, carpal tunnel, heberdens nodes and dupuytrens contracture...I've got the full set. The last two have come on in the last 8-12 months. I sometimes despair that it may impinge on my favourite past time playing guitar but so far I seem to be managing to carry on with that...whether I should be doing I'm not sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back