Triathlete shares experiences of being an athlete with diabetes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
A triathlete spoke in Davenport about his struggles and experiences as an athlete with diabetes.

According to a spokesperson from Genesis Medical, on Friday, December 6, 2013 at Genesis Medical Center in Davenport, Ironman Triathlete Jay Hewitt shared his story of having type 1 diabetes as a multi-sport athlete.

Hewitt worked to not let his diabetes control his life or stop him from doing what he loves.

http://wqad.com/2013/12/08/triathlete-shares-experiences-of-being-an-athlete-with-diabetes/

Oh yes I've been to one of his talks, he's a pretty determined character! Ironman is not for the faint-hearted - my brother (not D) competes in Ironman triathlons, and it's 4km swim in open water, 180km bike ride, then a full marathon. For Jay to do this with type 1 is amazing! If I remember correctly, his mantra is: "Diabetes, you're messing with the wrong guy!" (to be said with an American accent!). 😎

Oh yes I've been to one of his talks, he's a pretty determined character! Ironman is not for the faint-hearted - my brother (not D) competes in Ironman triathlons, and it's 4km swim in open water, 180km bike ride, then a full marathon. For Jay to do this with type 1 is amazing! If I remember correctly, his mantra is: "Diabetes, you're messing with the wrong guy!" (to be said with an American accent!). 😎

Having run a few marathons I can't even imagine what it must feel like to run one after all that goes before, and to do that and manage your diabetes is awesome 😱 Thankfully, I'm not a strong swimmer and can't ride a bike so you'll never persuade me to do one!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back