Tresiba v Levemir

Status
Not open for further replies.

brucie7518

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hello

I have recently switched from Levemir to Tresiba, and this is working ok so far. However, when injecting Tresiba, I do not hear a click of the dial for every unit injected. This is quite disconcerting as I can never be 100% sure that I've given myself the correct dose. I assume all you can do is to make sure the dial is pointing at the right dose you want to give yourself. Is this right? With Levemir, I heard a click for every unit injected so you knew exactly how much you were injecting.

Has anyone else noticed this difference between the 2 insulin pens?

David

Hello David,

I changed from disposable pens to the NovoEcho pen, for both my Tresiba and NovoRapid. This is a '"win-win" scenario.

The NovoEcho pen dispenses from disposable cartridges, which take up a lot less fridge space. Importantly for Tresiba, useful for NovoRapid, it allows 1/2 unit doses as you gradually refine your basal requirements. Because the pen has a 3-4 yr life-span it is a well made bit of kit, feels solid and generally (seems a strange thing to say) makes the injection experience almost a pleasure! It also has a display on the end cap telling you what your last dose was and(approximately) how many hours ago - for when you have that 'did I inject' moment. Reusable pens are also much better for the environment, less waste.

Recently, while in hospital I had to accept a disposable pen - and am reminded how flimsy they are; built to not last, of course! I would not willingly go back to disposable pens.

When you made the switch from Levermir to Tresiba did your DSN explain about the once daily 40 hr profile of Levermir and its relative inflexibility in relation to Levermir? I find that inflexibility a core strength of Tresiba and it suits me extremely well; but it needs a different "tactic" in how you make best use of Tresiba as a basal.

When you made the switch from Levermir to Tresiba did your DSN explain about the once daily 40 hr profile of Levermir and its relative inflexibility in relation to Levermir?
think you mean tresiba here?

It’s a strength of tresiba for some and a curse for others. Works for you, was the worst basal I’ve ever tried for me.

think you mean tresiba here?

It’s a strength of tresiba for some and a curse for others. Works for you, was the worst basal I’ve ever tried for me.
Yes, thanks Lucy.
Because Levermir wasn't really helping me get any stability and because my DSN had not told me about altering Levermir doses to take advantage of its flexibility, I was (then) more influenced by the prospect of one less daily injection - hence my change to Tresiba. I can see, in hindsight, that Tresiba provides a different way of helping to manage my DM; I also 'took more ownership' of what I was doing around this time and have, ever since, made it 'my business' to try and understand 'my DM'. Still far from perfect management!

Yes, thanks Lucy.
Because Levermir wasn't really helping me get any stability and because my DSN had not told me about altering Levermir doses to take advantage of its flexibility, I was (then) more influenced by the prospect of one less daily injection - hence my change to Tresiba. I can see, in hindsight, that Tresiba provides a different way of helping to manage my DM; I also 'took more ownership' of what I was doing around this time and have, ever since, made it 'my business' to try and understand 'my DM'. Still far from perfect management!
I have also just moved from levemir to tresiba and am finding it much better at managing my overnight glucose levels. I'm now mostly flat now whereas on split levemir I was all over the place, up and down all night!
I also made the move to reusable pens a couple of years ago and find them much better to use and less wasteful. In contrast to you I use a novopen 5 for tresiba which i only need 1 unit adjustments but a new novopen echo + for my fiasp to allow me to use 0.5 unit adjustments.
Not right or wrong, just different!

I'm thinking from changing from Levemir to Tresiba, because Levemir is starting to kill me. Last week, and a couple of weeks ago, injecting Levemir for my late evening dose, after injecting my BG dropped by 3. No, i didn't accidentally inject Fiasp, as the timer I have on on my Levemir pen showed.

I like to go to sleep on 7 or 8 to allow Levemir to drift it down to about 5, and NOT to do it instantly. Last Monday, and this is all true, it took a Crunchie from a multi-pack (which I know from experiments lilts my BG by at least 5) and half a pack of Dextro tablets just to get back up to 8.

All these incidents occurred when I had no Fiasp on board, at least none that could do that.

The answer to this problem, Tresiba seems like heaven, after all these arsing about hypos in the night. I need all my beauty sleep at my age😱

Yeah, the lack of clicking surprised me at first, but I got used to it. I just made extra sure I’d dialled up the right dose!

Hello David,

I changed from disposable pens to the NovoEcho pen, for both my Tresiba and NovoRapid. This is a '"win-win" scenario.

The NovoEcho pen dispenses from disposable cartridges, which take up a lot less fridge space. Importantly for Tresiba, useful for NovoRapid, it allows 1/2 unit doses as you gradually refine your basal requirements. Because the pen has a 3-4 yr life-span it is a well made bit of kit, feels solid and generally (seems a strange thing to say) makes the injection experience almost a pleasure! It also has a display on the end cap telling you what your last dose was and(approximately) how many hours ago - for when you have that 'did I inject' moment. Reusable pens are also much better for the environment, less waste.

Recently, while in hospital I had to accept a disposable pen - and am reminded how flimsy they are; built to not last, of course! I would not willingly go back to disposable pens.

When you made the switch from Levermir to Tresiba did your DSN explain about the once daily 40 hr profile of Levermir and its relative inflexibility in relation to Levermir? I find that inflexibility a core strength of Tresiba and it suits me extremely well; but it needs a different "tactic" in how you make best use of Tresiba as a basal.
No, I was not told about its inflexibility but the reason why I was recommended to start using Tresiba was that it was longer acting than Levemir. I am in the process of having to reduce my carb/insulin ratios for my Novorapid to compensate for the longer basal time.

I note what you say about disposable cartridges, and will look into this.

I'm using a Novo Flextouch pen. I used a Novo Flex pen for my Levemir previously. Don't know if they are different pens.

That’s what I suspected. Use up and ditch the disposable pens, and ask for a proper re-useable Novopen plus Tresiba cartridges. Better quality pen, better for the environment, and less space in the fridge.

Below is some cut and paste from a different thread, with a bit extra.
No, I was not told about its inflexibility but the reason why I was recommended to start using Tresiba was that it was longer acting than Levemir.
Tresiba is a particularly long lasting basal insulin (typically 40 hrs); so after your first dose on day 1, there is already basal on board as you start day 2. I found 22 units of Levermir daily eventually was refined to 9.5 units Tresiba, which I've recently (gradually) brought to 8.0 units daily with this hot weather. That longevity means its not super critical to take basal at a particular time daily and it also allows you to be a frequent flyer and manage changing time zones more easily.

But, there is a limit to how much you can tinker with Tresiba basal doses. Firstly any changes take time to work - up to 3 days; then several days of leaving alone, to verify the change is working. It's akin to being the Captain of an ocean going container ship, course or speed changes take days to implement (BUT they are all controlled by sophisticated computers, analysing loads of meteorological data for the selected route, ship profile and weight of cargo). In practice the Captain is taking legal and commercial responsibility for a computer programme.

Secondly, it is not realistic to search for optimum 24 hour basal supply with any basal; Levermir gives you 2 bites at that cherry. Tresiba simply can't give you a perfect 24 hr solution. Your insulin needs across the 24 hrs vary a lot. So I've optimised my Tresiba to give me flat, hypo free, nights (when I don't want to be hearing alarms, taking bolus or jelly babies) and I EXPECT to manage my day with bolus doses on a response basis. If that means, on a bad daytime, extra bolus corrections or more aggressive food doses - so be it. Sometimes, not too often, I have to "feed the insulin" because there is too much on board; but I have an armoury of snacks available in many, many diffferent forms of size, volume and varying reponsiveness (GI). If I'm already 'fat and full' then a slurp of lucozade is my choice, or a latte with a small biscuit (or bigger cookie).

Its necessary to experiment, but Libre allows me to safely monitor, understand and respond without excessive finger pricking. I have my Libre alarm set at 5.6, then I'm alerted when falling, can monitor and snack if necessary. So, personally, now that I've found that wholly acceptable 8 hr night solution, I see no point in daytime basal testing.

This doesn't mean I never change my basal doses. Just sparingly and now only when a succession of nights are no longer satisfactory - either rising or falling.
With a shorter lived basal such as Levermir, I appreciate people can freely tinker with their basal doses, almost on a daily basis. But having moved from Levermir to Tresiba, which works well for me, I appreciate having one bit of the complexity of D management being out of the daily equations.
I am in the process of having to reduce my carb/insulin ratios for my Novorapid to compensate for the longer basal time.
Yes, my ratios have changed; but to be fair I was not sure I had these optimised anyway and they are something that I understand need monitoring and adjusting periodically as part of the D way of life.
I note what you say about disposable cartridges, and will look into this.
If you change to reusable pens make sure you have at least 2 pens for one type of insulin. A spare reusable pen is a vital safeguard in the unlikely event of a pen failure. I actually have 3 pens, 2x blue for basal and 1x red for rapid. My 'in use' blue basal has a couple of tactile stickers on it to reinforce to me that it's different to my red bolus pen. My 2nd blue pen is a complete reserve, just in case; I know someone else who has 2x blue and 2x red for their own peace of mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back