Tresiba dosage question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornflake57

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I’ve recently been prescribed Tresiba U200 pen, however I’m confused about the correct dosage to take. I used to be on Lantus 160 units a day, to transfer this dosage to Tresiba my GP says that the 3ml pen has 200 units per ml, this part I understand as I’ve always understood this with previous injectables. However, my GP says that I should inject 0.8mls of Tresiba to get the 160 units, I do not understand how 0.8 units converts to 160 units? Therefore I haven’t taken the insulin as I do not know if I am over dosing if I inject at 160 units or under at 0.8. It’s a seven week wait to speak with my GP, and the pharmacist never returns your call. Is there anyone who can advise?

The simple answer is if you need 160 units then you just dial the pen to 160 units. (Or split it into multiple doses but totalling 160 units)

If you were measuring in ml then with a u-100 strength insulin there are 100 units in 1ml so you would need to measure 1.6ml. In a u-200 strength insulin there are 200 units in 1ml so you only need to measure 0.8ml. If you have a pen with a dial and not a syringe though, you don’t need to worry about this.

Also, you can’t just not take your insulin. If you aren’t sure and you can’t speak to GP or pharmacist on the phone, then either go to the pharmacy in person or call 111 to check. It’s important to take insulin every day and not skip a day of your background insulin or you could get very sick very quickly.

I do not understand how 0.8 units converts to 160 units?
That's simple enough. With U100, 0.8ml is 80 units. With U200, the same volume is 160 units. However, as others have said I'd expect a U200 pen to be marked suitably so that to get 160 units you'd dial up 160 units.

The simple answer is if you need 160 units then you just dial the pen to 160 units. (Or split it into multiple doses but totalling 160 units) (snip)
I’ve recently been prescribed Tresiba U200 pen, however I’m confused about the correct dosage to take. (snip)
There is no need to be confused. You do not need to do any conversions. Dial up 160 units on your prefilled pen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back