Treats

Status
Not open for further replies.

lyndasw

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Finally got back on the straight and narrow after my holiday but its time to start introducing the odd 'treat' again, probably chocolate in some form or another 🙂
So was just wondering
1. How often do you have treats?
2. And how many?
3. What do you like to have?
4. And for the type 2's on D&E like myself I am wondering - what sort of effect does it have on you health wise?

The good thing about having fast acting insulin (in theory) is that I can have a treat if I want to - take today, I've demolished a whole load of chocolate hobnobs as I'm feeling very sorry for myself.

My favourite treat is chocolate in any form (bars, on biscuits, cake, etc), but unbelievably I do actually eat a fairly healthy diet, so I don't have it all that often!

A treat for me these days is a big bowl of berries. Strawberries, raspberries, blackberries and blue berries. Yum. What I would really like though is something sinful like profiteroles.

After a hot afternoon in the garden (actually weeding!), I treated myself to some pears and ice cream! 🙂

I haven't quite gotten the hang of the concept of treats myself. I tend to be very negative about myself and i haven't found found anything i can treat myself to without feeling bad about. I'm kind of afraid that if i let the chocolate monkey out, i won't be able to stop eating the stuff!
Strawberries do sound like a good idea though. Ice cream is also a candidate but i overindulged once a few months after diagnosis and scared the heck out of me when my blood sugar went sky high! (I was very angry, my granddad has always maintained that ice cream doesn;t affect his blood sugar, like the crunchie bars and grandma's puddings then....)
A nice glass of wine? That might work..you can't go far wrong with just the one.
Anyway, my current treat is chippy chips (and maybe some fish too), it was my reward last week for going to the gyn for the first time an ages...unfortunately i went to the wrong chip shop, maybe i'll go to the better one on the way back from the gym tommorow.

Rachel

Lynda - for type 2s who can't balance intake with insulin, small amounts of chocolate are OK - a few squares of good quality chocolate usually has less effect on blood sugar than cheaper chocolate.
Most berries have relatively little effect on blood sugar - particularly if you pick your own from garden or farm (strawberries / raspberries) or hedgerow (blackberries).

I have to be relly carefull with treats as a type 2. I tend to over indulge, especially if it is chocolate then end up feeling very sick. I did treat myself to a small ice cream on the way home, I was hot the ice cream looked nice, it tasted even better.

As part of a meal, a treat will have less effect than a treat on its own as a snack, but it will still have an effect.

I haven't quite gotten the hang of the concept of treats myself. I tend to be very negative about myself and i haven't found found anything i can treat myself to without feeling bad about. I'm kind of afraid that if i let the chocolate monkey out, i won't be able to stop eating the stuff!
Strawberries do sound like a good idea though. Ice cream is also a candidate but i overindulged once a few months after diagnosis and scared the heck out of me when my blood sugar went sky high! (I was very angry, my granddad has always maintained that ice cream doesn;t affect his blood sugar, like the crunchie bars and grandma's puddings then....)
A nice glass of wine? That might work..you can't go far wrong with just the one.
Anyway, my current treat is chippy chips (and maybe some fish too), it was my reward last week for going to the gyn for the first time an ages...unfortunately i went to the wrong chip shop, maybe i'll go to the better one on the way back from the gym tommorow.

Rachel
Rachel - I understand what you are saying, I go on a guilt trip when I do have a treat. For the the first 3 months I had virtually no treats at all, mainly because I was desperate to get my levels down as quickly as possible. But there was the real fear of not being able to stop eating things like chocolate or crisps if I started. On holiday I decided to have a treat a day - it didn't work. It soon crept up to three or four a day, a little cake, a glass of wine ......etc 😱 and it was so hard getting back to normal (oh but I did enjoy:D )

If I think about it too much I feel quite fed up about it :(. Think I might try 2 treats a week with a bit of monitoring and see how it goes and try Caroline's suggestion of including the treat within the meal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back