Treats

Status
Not open for further replies.
Once people manage to get their blood glucose into normal range if they go back to previous habits which was not good for them and they don't maintain their new way of eating it can very easily become a slippery slope and they can find themselves back where they started.
Food like cakes should very much be kept as the occasional treat, that is if you regard a cake as a treat which I do not as I now find them far too sweet. Chocolate again as treat if you choose the better kind of chocolate, dark rather than sickly sweet milk chocolate with even sweeter fillings.
However if you are prepared to make your own cakes and biscuits then there are plenty of recipes for low carb ones on the website sugarfreelondoner.

Sorry I am new to this do i have to avoid all choc/ cakes etc forever
The short answer is no, but cake is best kept as an occasional treat like a birthday or at Xmas. Extra dark chocolate (70% cocoa or above) is generally considered OK. My choice is Lindt 85% Robust Dark but I restrict myself to a couple of a squares at the end of the day - my reward for staying under 130g, so a big incentive to do so.

My go to treat, though, is a Nature Valley Peanut & Dark Chocolate bar, or a KIND Dark Chocolate Nuts & Sea Salt bar (the smaller one), as they satisfy my sweet tooth and are not high carb - 10.2g for the Nature Valley bar, 7.2g for the KIND bar - but I'll have one or the other, and only ever one on any given day.

Before diagnosis I was a sucker for custard tarts, a couple of chocolate digestives every time I had a cuppa, Genoa cake, currant buns and Cadbury's Whole Nut chocolate. I haven't touched any of them since and now don't even miss them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back