Treatments, Not Prevention, Dominate Diabetes Research

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Research for diabetes is far more focused on drug therapies than preventive measures, and tends to exclude children and older people who have much to gain from better disease management, according to a Duke Medicine study.

By analyzing nearly 2,500 diabetes-related trials registered in ClinicalTrials.gov from 2007-10, the authors provide a broad overview of the research landscape for diabetes. The effort is part of the Clinical Trials Transformation Initiative, a public-private partnership founded by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and Duke University to identify and promote practices to improve clinical trials.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/04/130405195641.htm

Interesting article. I was asked if I wanted to take part in a trial for a new diabetes drug recently. The trial was to run for 7 years with monthly checkups for the first year and three monthly thereafter. One of the risks mentioned was the slight possibility of a heart attack.

As I felt rather vulnerable, as I have already had a heart attack, and due to the length of the study, I decided not to take part. I am 70 now so would be 77 when it finished.

At least this trial would consider taking on older diabetics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back