Treatment

Status
Not open for further replies.

philsbbs

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi,

My last three blood tests hba1c have fell in the diabetes range last test was 71. My GP said I was going to be followed up by them end of this month heard nothing so chased them like normal and got a call back today saying they want to redo bloods end of July 2022 (this will be my fourth test).

I have stopped all sugar intake i.e soft drinks no sugar on ceral etc and take a finger prick test often always in the dangerous reading yet I've received no treatment i.e meds/seen nurse etc. Is this normal bearing in mind my first postive ready was Sept last year and been positive ever since.

Luckly I've brought some of your books to give me great advise on a diet/food plan etc to help me keep certain foods away or very low portitions.

Of course GP may vary from GP to GP but what was the normal GP approach for you ??

Of course GP may vary from GP to GP but what was the normal GP approach for you ??
I'd have thought they're being overly relaxed. It sounds like you ought to be regarded as having diabetes (Type 2) and should be being offered support in managing it, preferably along the lines of the NICE guidance. Also the annual checks (on feet, eyes, etc.) that should be offered to all people with diabetes. Whereas it sounds like you're just getting a blood test.

I wonder if they're still not quite sure whether you have diabetes or not, but as you say this'll be the 4th HbA1c test and you're getting finger prick tests consistent with those.

It sounds very much as if your have been left to your own devices but with an HbA1C of 71 mmol/mol, even if it is a single test I don't think there is much doubt that you are diabetic.
When you say you are getting high finger prick readings what sort of numbers are you getting and when.
The dietary changes you have made may therefore not be sufficient and it would be worth looking more carefully at your carbohydrate intake. You mention not having sugar on your cereal but it is also the cereal which is not too good an option as it is high carbohydrate.
You may be misinterpreting the nutritional information and only looking at the 'sugar' rather than the TOTAL carbohydrate of the foods you are having and that can make a big difference.
This link might help with some do's and don'ts and some meal ideas as well as a good explanation about managing blood glucose levels. https://lowcarbfreshwell.co.uk/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back