Treatment for neuropathy - aldose reductase inhibitors etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

amberguard

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi all
Just been diagnosed with diabetic neuropathy, showing in my toes. The only treatment I've found as standard in the UK seems to be masking / treating the pain, and managing blood glucose levels. The USA and Japan seem to have other treatments such as treatment by various inhibitors that eg slow the accumulation of sorbitol etc.

"Aldose reductase inhibitors reduce the flux of glucose through the polyol pathway, inhibiting tissue accumulation of sorbitol and fructose. Newer aldose reductase inhibitors are currently being explored,[56] and some trials with positive results have emerged with newer agents,[57] but these may be insufficient per se, and combinations of treatments may be needed.[8] "
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/565795_4

Has anyone been prescribed these inhibitors, or anything similar?

Amber

Hi amber, welcome to the forum 🙂 Can't help with the problem, but hopefully someone else will. I guess not all doctors/the NHS are up to date or approving of new treatments here, but hopefully they will come.

Hi Amber,

Welcome!

There are various factors with diabetic peripheral neuropathy that need to be taken into account.

The report you linked to does state that good control is the key to minimising DPN, taking drugs to do the work of the control while the control still isn't good practice, as poor control can impact on almost any part of the body. It's one of the cruel things about this condition.

There isn't much research done that I am aware of in the UK, but there are a number of trials in the area of painful diabetic neuropathy, which I have to say from first hand experience of suffering from this on a daily, long term basis, due to deferred diagnosis/treatment of my diabetes is to be avoided. Since diagnosis my control has been very good, however, the damage was done.

Now it's down to pain control. There are many people who through gaining control of their diabetes have reversed the effects of neuropathy, either pain or loss of sensation.

In the case of lacking sensation, it often goes un-noticed that we're numb in parts of our bodies as we don't always associate touch when we dry our own feet etc.

There is much work to be done in combatting neuropathy, but despite the fact the UK works on the basis of control, then if need be pain control, research around the world is still very slow.

Drugs for pain control in neuropathy are still second uses of drugs for other neurological conditions including epilepsy and depression - as they supress the sensation of the central nervous condition.

Until recently I'd considered neuropathy (and especially painful) as being a localised game the body played in so far as moving the 'phantom' pain aroudn the body. Seeing a consultant at the pain clinic a few weeks ago made me realise the pain of course isn't in my arms or legs, its the spinal cord that's kidding me into thinking there is pain, or indeed, that most of the time I can't feel my legs or feet. Except the pain is still there!!

My strongest advice to you is to monitor your condition carefully, (if of course you don't already) and note any changes and report them to your doctor(s).

The other interesting link coming through now is about the trigs and their direct relationship to neuropathy, an area touched on in the document.

Let's hope neuropathy research continues, it is one area globally that doesn't see enough attention compared to other areas of diabetes and the impact on our daily lives.

hi amber and a warm welcome cant help with the probs but im sure some one will x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back