Travelling

Status
Not open for further replies.

A@my

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hello,
I am travelling abroad for the first time since my diagnosis and I am looking for any advice for going through airport security. In terms of needles and insulin pens

Thank you in advance!

This provides some great advice - https://www.diabetes.org.uk/guide-to-diabetes/life-with-diabetes/travel

My top tips would be
- make sure you have travel insurance and they are aware of your diabetes. They may charge more to cover diabetes but, in my mind this is the thing most likely to go wrong.
- take at least twice as much of everything than you think you may need. You may lose or damage something or you may end up staying longer than planned.
- carry ALL diabetes supplies in your hand luggage. Checked in luggage may get lost and the hold temperature may not be suitable for insulin. Some airlines allow you to carry a second medical hand luggage. I prefer not to have the hassle of extra bags.
- if you are not already using reusable pens, ask to change. A spare pen and cartridges take up far less space in your luggage than multiple single use pens (and they are more robust and better for the environment)
- get a letter from your diabetes consultant/DSN (not GP - they tend to charge for letters) to say you need to carry all your gubbins. Make sure the letter is not for a specific date so it can be reused. In 100s of flights, I have only needed my letter twice but I still carry it for insurance
- if you are traveling somewhere warm, Frio "cases" are really handy to keep you insulin cool. I was advised not to use them when flying as they can appear like gelignite when they have been soaked in water and security are nervous about this.
- don't worry about carrying needles. They are too small to be noticed on the x-rays. Airport security have never asked about them ... or my insulin pens. I use a water bottle as my sharps container when away and empty this when I get home.
- have a fantastic trip

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I would just add to @helli ’s list

If you are travelling with someone else, give them half your supplies. If you lose one bag you still have the other.

I have rarely had any issues going through security and they don’t usually bat an eyelid seeing the stuff, although I do put it all in a separate bag and tell them it is there. Just in case there is any issue have some hypo treatment in your pocket (JBs, sugar sachets, …)

Most importantly enjoy your trip.

If you are travelling with someone else, give them half your supplies. If you lose one bag you still have the other.
This is great advice but take care - the letter from a doctor only covers those with diabetes (or parents/guardians of children) to carry the supplies, especially sharp items.
The risk is low for you to be called out as my sharps have never been spotted (I don't offer personal information to security staff unless absolutely necessary).

thanks @helli
We go through consecutively and as you say the security don’t even seem to notice them now.
I hover just in case they have an issue with OH‘s bag With my letter at the ready (looking a bit dog eared now)

Great thread very useful for us newbie’s

I forgot one more tip a learned from personal experience
- keep your hypo treatment with you in your seat, not the overhead locker. Otherwise, if you have a hypo when the seatbelt lights are on, you have to chose between not treating it or feeling the wrath of the aircrew when you stand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back