Travelling

Status
Not open for further replies.

shez

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi. just after any advice people have for travelling with a pump. I started on the pump in December and I am going travelling for 4 months in august. What do you do about insulin as it only lasts a month out of fridge???? Even if i change back to injections for travelling there is still the issue of insulin being out of fridge. Any advice appreciated. x

Hi Shez. I'm often away for three months at a time and travelling is not too much trouble if you plan carefully. I'm usually staying at the same place when I'm away though, so insulin deterioration is not really a problem as I just put it in the fridge when I arrive at my destination. Don't forget that it's the total time out of the fridge that matters i.e. if its only out of a fridge for a few hours between destinations, but it's still in a fridge for most of the time, it should keep its potency for several months. Every hotel that I have ever stayed at has been very cooperative for putting the insulin in their kitchen fridge, but I did leave it behind on one occasion!

Airlines will allow you an extra piece of hand luggage for medical reasons. So I calculate my anticipated consumption of insulin/infusion sets/cannulas/lancets/test strips/pills/etc etc before I go, add at least 50%, and put the whole lot in a holdall that stays with me all the time. My PCT provided me with a back-up pump for emergencies, and that goes in the holdall as well. Provided the back-up pump is not powered up it's safe to go through the airport X-ray scanner in the holdall, but you mustn't let your pump go through the scanner. I usually indicate to the security guys that I am wearing the pump and they do a regular frisk. I've never had any hassle with airport security (yet!). Oh, and ask your DSN for a covering letter to show to any jobs-worth, and take a copy of your usual prescription.

I guess it would be prudent to check availability of your particular insulin in the countries you're proposing to visit.

The most important tip: have a good time and relax - if you have a problem (like leaving your insulin in a hotel fridge) you'll deal with it.

Is it hot where you are going ? That is a long time to be without a fridge & pump or mdi is same problems. Frio bags are very good & just need water to sort. It depends what you are upto. "Enjoy" (I am lucky if i get a week off )

I am going to canada, australia and new zealand so yep should be hot.
I think i will go back to injections for my trip so just need to figure out the insulin issue as i am camping for most of it and moving from place to place quite quickly on tours. Frio bags will definately be used :D

I find a stainless steel vacuum flask better than Frio bags (which I've never used) - cheaper, more robust, better protection against physical (in addition to temperature) damage. Obviously, flask has to be empty of water when flying, but you can add cool water, with / out small amounts of ice to cool the container before emptying, and for rest of time, carry cool water.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back