travelling with Special meals

Status
Not open for further replies.

HPJ

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi
if you have ordered a special Diabetic meal with a well known company. Please note that it is not a diabetic meal that I would recommend. I had on my trip to and from South Africa and was disappointed. The normal meals were better then a special meal. The special meal was dry and nothing on there was suited to a diabetic meal.

I am not sure what these companies think a "diabetic meal" is.
In fact, I have no idea what it is as we all eat different things.

When flying, I order a special meal because I don't eat meat. Over the years, I soon got bored with pasta (nothing to do with having diabetes) but found the Asian VGML is usually a fair enough curry. If you don't want the carbs, it is easy to avoid the rice and chapati but still have a decent sized meal.

There is no such thing as a diabetic meal.
It is your job to chose what is suitable for your needs whether at home out and about or traveling.

Hi
if you have ordered a special Diabetic meal with a well known company. Please note that it is not a diabetic meal that I would recommend. I had on my trip to and from South Africa and was disappointed. The normal meals were better then a special meal. The special meal was dry and nothing on there was suited to a diabetic meal.

In my naivety I ordered the ‘diabetic meal’ on a long haul flight once. Not a mistake I will make again... (and how a meal gets to have diabetes is beyond me 😛 )

It was a bunch of cardboard. While others were eating far more suitable options.

In my naivety I ordered the ‘diabetic meal’ on a long haul flight once. Not a mistake I will make again... (and how a meal gets to have diabetes is beyond me 😛 )
Ah now the question is did the meal have type1 or 2? 🙂

Never order a 'diabetic meal'. It will probably be low-fat and loaded with carbs.

well if I have the pleasure of being with them again I will not be ordering the special meals again as they were as Dave B said loaded with carbs. was not impressed.

I’ve never ordered a diabetic meal. I don’t even know what that would mean (high carb? low carb? low fat? low calorie?). People with diabetes cover a broad spectrum. Some are underweight, some overweight, some average. Some are on insulin, some are diet only. Some are very young, some old. Some pregnant - you get the idea.

i do mine was ordered by my fiancé. think he thought he was doing me a favour.

well if I have the pleasure of being with them again I will not be ordering the special meals again as they were as Dave B said loaded with carbs. was not impressed.
I imagine that it’s plenty of carbs and lower fat, with the thought process being that those who are on mixed insulin or fixed doses of insulin or medications that can cause hypos need to make sure they have enough carbs at meals. For those who can adjust to whatever food is available they’d just pick a normal meal and guess carbs appropriately.

Many years ago when I was a teenager we were flying off on holiday somewhere my mum ordered a diabetic meal. We all got a greasy fry-up type affair and she got steak and broccoli, we all wished we’d ordered a special meal too! :rofl: Although mum has always been on fixed doses of insulin and was complaining that there wasn’t enough carb in it to use up her insulin!

Due to austim my daughter hates holidays and flying so we never go anywhere these days, but if we did we’d just carb count whatever came. Must be much tougher if you’re a diet controlled type 2.

This reminds me of the time I was in hospital with a broken leg for 2 weeks many years ago, before I was even prediabetic, there was this lady on my ward who was diabetic and I remember her meals looked so bland, basically white fish and greens, it just looked dry and unappetising, I guess it was OK but she had similar for every meal.

Never ever ordered special meals, just eat what comes.

Tbh enjoy airline food, same with ferries, travelled on Irish Ferries earlier in year & food was very good.

I too made the same mistake when flying with a well known airline , my wife's meal looked far better and would have been easy for me to carb count , never again !!

We flew Malaysian Airlines to Australia, changing planes going out at KL. Soon after taking off from KL, we had a meal and of course I hadn't asked for anything different and can't even recall now what on earth it might have been but the thing that made Pete and I giggle was the fact the 'Chinese', (presumably Malaysian) couple in the left hand two seats of the central 4 we were sat on the RHS of - the lady sat next to me produced a Novorapid Flexpen out of her handbag and had a jab as the food was served!

Snap ..... and we had the same meal.

Never ever ordered special meals, just eat what comes.

Tbh enjoy airline food, same with ferries, travelled on Irish Ferries earlier in year & food was very good.

Try EVA Air, if you fancy a 15 hour game of "what the heck is that they're offering me". The most curious culinary experience ever. I had planned to fast (and did) on the flight anyway, but my chap was a bit bewildered at times.

I order GF, which have been largely OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back