Travelling with Insulin

Status
Not open for further replies.

FifD

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
Off for a month's travel in hot climate. Access to fridges variable, thinking Frio pouches but any better recommendations? Thanks in advance FifD

Welcome @FifD 🙂 I always use a Frio. Usually I have some days somewhere with a fridge so I put my insulin in the fridge then only use the Frio when I need to. I asked ahead about fridges in hotel rooms and I often found they were prepared to put a fridge in for me. Of course, it depends where you’re going and what kind of places you’re staying in.

I too have always used Frio wallets.
I have been trekking and camping in hot countries with no fridges and never had any issues.
Personally, I would trust Frio over fridges in some of the hotels I have stayed on my travels.

Last edited:
Hi @FifD. A lot of people will swear by Frio, as they are very easy to use.
Are you travelling anywhere nice?

Following @helli ’s warning about fridges I had an issue where the lack of a door on the freezer compartment being broken my spare insulin froze on the first night of the holiday.
We usually go away for less than 28 days and cooler climes, so don’t worry about fridges. Where I do use a fridge I put a squat soup flask in the fridge the night before we leave, out my insulin in there as we leave. I have a label on the flask explaining that it is medical equipment and do not move it. I always check the fridge before using it (easy in hindsight).

Frio bags are great if on the move, but need to be in an outer pocket of bag.

Have a great time.

Hi @FifD. A lot of people will swear by Frio, as they are very easy to use.
Are you travelling anywhere nice?
Thanks, yes I think I'll stick to Frio. We are off to Costa Rica in January for a couple of weeks and moving from place to place. Then off to Orlando, Nashville and New Orleans. Looking forward to it!

Following @helli ’s warning about fridges I had an issue where the lack of a door on the freezer compartment being broken my spare insulin froze on the first night of the holiday.
We usually go away for less than 28 days and cooler climes, so don’t worry about fridges. Where I do use a fridge I put a squat soup flask in the fridge the night before we leave, out my insulin in there as we leave. I have a label on the flask explaining that it is medical equipment and do not move it. I always check the fridge before using it (easy in hindsight).

Frio bags are great if on the move, but need to be in an outer pocket of bag.

Have a great time.
Interesting to hear about your problem holiday fridge! Thanks for the warning and tips. We are on the move constantly for the first couple of weeks so will use my trusted Frios.

Best wishes

Thanks, yes I think I'll stick to Frio. We are off to Costa Rica in January for a couple of weeks and moving from place to place. Then off to Orlando, Nashville and New Orleans. Looking forward to it!

Sounds like the trip of a lifetime @FifD

Have a great time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back