Travelling with Insulin pens and spare insulin

Status
Not open for further replies.

CathyFP

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
Pronouns
She/Her
As a recently diagnosed Type 1(LADA) diabetic I am trying to get organised for travelling. Nowhere too exotic probably just Spain. What do people use to carry their insulin pens and spare insulin’s n when flying and also when out and about in high temperatures? What have read about the Frio products do people have good experience of these? Are there alternatives. It’s all a bit daunting . Also is it really necessary to contact your airline before you fly. I use a CGM too (Libre)

Thanks for any advice

The first thing to remember is that many of us have taken out Type 1 and insulin and Libre on many flights with no issues.
The second thing to remember is that insulin is fine at room temperature for a month.
And the third thing to remember is that, unless you plan to leave your insulin in the window of a car without air conditioning , it will not get too hot.

I have flown many times and travelled to places hotter than Spain (last time I was in Dubai where it was 40 degrees at midnight) and never had any issues. I take Frio but only to use when I am outside. For example, when hiking and camping in India where there was no sign of a fridge for days. My Frio wallets are now 18 years old and still perfectly fine for travel. So definitely a great investment for Type 1.

When I say I have flown many times, I mean, literally hundreds of times and never contacted the airline beforehand. Since I started using self check in, I have not told anyone at the airline. The only reason I can think to tell them is if you feel you need extra hand luggage for medical purposes.

And I only tell airport security if they explicitly ask because I consider it personal information they do not need to know. They have never questioned my Libre and I have never had a problem with the Libre after going through a body scanner or the x-ray. I carry a letter from my diabetes clinic but only needed to show it once in 20 years. Some people also carry a copy of their prescription.

I always take twice as much as I need of everything. This includes back up meter and test strips plus a battery for my meter even though I have a CGM.

Diabetes should not cause any trouble when travelling but, if you are anxious, you can wear a sunflower lanyard.

When in Spain, make sure you have plenty of hypo treatment with you as most of us find the change in daily regime can affect our BG.
Some people use the fridge in their hotel to store spare insulin. I do not trust most hotel fridges and, provided you keep your insulin away from the heat, it does not need to go in a fridge.

As a recently diagnosed Type 1(LADA) diabetic I am trying to get organised for travelling. Nowhere too exotic probably just Spain. What do people use to carry their insulin pens and spare insulin’s n when flying and also when out and about in high temperatures? What have read about the Frio products do people have good experience of these? Are there alternatives. It’s all a bit daunting . Also is it really necessary to contact your airline before you fly. I use a CGM too (Libre)

Thanks for any advice
I just put the spare and in use insulin in a clear plastic bag for the flight, then I put the in use insulin back in my normal pencil case afterwards. I left the spare insulin in the clear plastic bag in my suitcase in the hotel

The first thing to remember is that many of us have taken out Type 1 and insulin and Libre on many flights with no issues.
The second thing to remember is that insulin is fine at room temperature for a month.
And the third thing to remember is that, unless you plan to leave your insulin in the window of a car without air conditioning , it will not get too hot.

I have flown many times and travelled to places hotter than Spain (last time I was in Dubai where it was 40 degrees at midnight) and never had any issues. I take Frio but only to use when I am outside. For example, when hiking and camping in India where there was no sign of a fridge for days. My Frio wallets are now 18 years old and still perfectly fine for travel. So definitely a great investment for Type 1.

When I say I have flown many times, I mean, literally hundreds of times and never contacted the airline beforehand. Since I started using self check in, I have not told anyone at the airline. The only reason I can think to tell them is if you feel you need extra hand luggage for medical purposes.

And I only tell airport security if they explicitly ask because I consider it personal information they do not need to know. They have never questioned my Libre and I have never had a problem with the Libre after going through a body scanner or the x-ray. I carry a letter from my diabetes clinic but only needed to show it once in 20 years. Some people also carry a copy of their prescription.

I always take twice as much as I need of everything. This includes back up meter and test strips plus a battery for my meter even though I have a CGM.

Diabetes should not cause any trouble when travelling but, if you are anxious, you can wear a sunflower lanyard.

When in Spain, make sure you have plenty of hypo treatment with you as most of us find the change in daily regime can affect our BG.
Some people use the fridge in their hotel to store spare insulin. I do not trust most hotel fridges and, provided you keep your insulin away from the heat, it does not need to go in a fridge.
Thanks so much Helli this is very encouraging.

I recently visited my nurse and duriong that session she printed out an Insulin Passport, it details my use of insulin and medications for travelling. This printout can be kept in your wallet or purse and shown when needed to explain why you are carrying it. Maybe check with your healthcare professional 🙂

I agree with everything that Helli says. I always make sure I have back up insulin and any tablets I need. Insulin pens are recognised by security and the only time I've been questioned was when I took 4 pens with me instead of the two I use on a daily basis. Put them in with the liquids and you will be fine. I generally leave the pens in my pocket.

I usually take a Frio bag with me but don't often use it unless it's really hot and I have nowhere to keep insulin at a reasonable temperature. If you are likely to carry your pens around in something that exposes them to high temperatures repeatedly then you might want to put them in a Frio bag, they come in loads of different sizes. I don't soak Frio bags until I get where I'm going to avoid any potential questions at security.

I find that my control needs attention when I'm somewhere hot or exercising more, or usually both. My insulin requirements fall and carbs need increases, sometimes quite dramatically. Just be watchful and if you feel you are having a hypo eat something, better to risk overdoing it a bit than fall over. I assume somebody has told you about Jelly Babies. The best fast action carbohydrate available I believe. 5.5g per baby. I also recommend M&S jelly babies.

I agree with everything that Helli says. I always make sure I have back up insulin and any tablets I need. Insulin pens are recognised by security and the only time I've been questioned was when I took 4 pens with me instead of the two I use on a daily basis. Put them in with the liquids and you will be fine. I generally leave the pens in my pocket.

I usually take a Frio bag with me but don't often use it unless it's really hot and I have nowhere to keep insulin at a reasonable temperature. If you are likely to carry your pens around in something that exposes them to high temperatures repeatedly then you might want to put them in a Frio bag, they come in loads of different sizes. I don't soak Frio bags until I get where I'm going to avoid any potential questions at security.

I find that my control needs attention when I'm somewhere hot or exercising more, or usually both. My insulin requirements fall and carbs need increases, sometimes quite dramatically. Just be watchful and if you feel you are having a hypo eat something, better to risk overdoing it a bit than fall over. I assume somebody has told you about Jelly Babies. The best fast action carbohydrate available I believe. 5.5g per baby. I also recommend M&S jelly babies.
Thanks for the advice Merluza

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back