Travelling, travelling, travelling

Status
Not open for further replies.

m1dnc

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Pronouns
He/Him
I've just got back from a 5 and a bit-month round-the-world trip and thought that I'd share some experiences of travelling with a pump. The last time I did a long trip like this was on MDI.

Before I left, I'd calculated pretty well all that I'd need for 6-months in terms of pump supplies, insulin, test strips etc, as well as my other meds, and added 50% for safety. Roche, my GP and the dispensary were really helpful in making sure that I had everything I needed. I also took a back-up pump and meter, and a box each of pre-filled Humalog and Lantus pens. That was the best part of one suitcase filled (but all perishables like insulin and test strips went in my carry-on luggage)!

For peace of mind I checked with Lilly, Sanofi and Roche as to whether I would be able to get supplies locally in each of the countries I was to visit in case of loss or theft.

I left the UK at the end of October and did the longest leg first - 23 hours to Melbourne with a re-fuelling stop at Dubai. On each leg of the journey I re-set my watch and pump/meter time to the local time at the destination as soon as the flight took off. I'm a fairly relaxed flyer so didn't need to set a TBR for flight stress or the like. For me, I've found the best way of coping with variable BS when flying is to test frequently and make correction doses if necessary.

Wherever I could I put the insulin in a fridge, but there were days (like that first flight, and some motoring days between cities) when the insulin could be out of a fridge for many hours. On those occasions, I kept it in an insulated bag but without a cold pack or the like. I worked out that over the whole trip it probably wasn't out of a fridge for more than about 10-days in total, and since this was less than the 28-days at room temperature max quoted by the manufacturers, I thought I'd be OK. I was on the lookout for any problems with the insulin, but didn't perceive any loss of its efficacy over the whole time I was away. In fact I'm still using up the insulin I got before I left.

Most of the trip was in tropical countries, but I didn't take any special precautions to keep the pump cool, except to avoid full sun. I've tried using Frio pouches in the past, but I'm not convinced that they make much difference. I did use an Aquapak when I knew there would be a water soaking risk, and that was very effective.

I had no problems with airport security or airlines anywhere. Almost every airport security checkpoint subjected me and the pump to an explosives swab test.

I didn't seem to have more than the usual hypos and hypers, although the wonderful fresh-off-the-tree tropical fruit in Tahiti did send the BS soaring for a few hours.

My HbAC1 a week before departure was 7.2, and a week after returning it was 7.1.

All-in-all a great trip and the lesson for me is: go for it!

That's brilliant!

I'm somewhat envious ......

That's amazing. Thanks for posting. It's easy to start thinking sometimes that there are activities that are impossible for us type oners, but it's so not true.😛 Don't lose your adventurous spirit!:D

Sounds wonderful! Did you get an extra piece of hand luggage allowed? I tend to pack everything D-related into my hand luggage (not just the insulin etc.) because I'm paranoid about the hold baggage getting lost! But this does mean a heavy cabin bag with no space for any ordinary stuff 😉

Yes. I took two pieces of hand luggage. I had a round - the - world ticket on the One World airline alliance (BA, Qantas, American Airlines etc) and all the airlines (in this group at least) will allow an extra piece of hand luggage for medical reasons. I was never asked to explain though.

I'm took a standard letter from my clinic with a copy of my prescription, but again nobody asked to see them.

A round- the- world ticket is brilliant for a trip like this. You must take the first flight exactly as booked, but after that all the flight bookings are flexible. There are a few restrictions, like no back tracking, but they are not really too onerous. I arranged my trip through Trailfinders, highly recommended.

Yes. I took two pieces of hand luggage. I had a round - the - world ticket on the One World airline alliance (BA, Qantas, American Airlines etc) and all the airlines (in this group at least) will allow an extra piece of hand luggage for medical reasons. I was never asked to explain though.

I'm took a standard letter from my clinic with a copy of my prescription, but again nobody asked to see them.

A round- the- world ticket is brilliant for a trip like this. You must take the first flight exactly as booked, but after that all the flight bookings are flexible. There are a few restrictions, like no back tracking, but they are not really too onerous. I arranged my trip through Trailfinders, highly recommended.

I'm surprised that people need 2 pieces of hand luggage. My longest trip post diabetes was a 4.5 months expedition in Chile, Falklands and South Georgia. So, luggage had to include a very warm sleeping bag, sleeping mat, duvet jacket, fleeces, waterproof jacket and trousers etc, plus scientific equipment & books, as I was Chief Scientist. Easy enough to wear extra clothing, although very hot leaving UK and passing through Santiago in September and January. Diabetes supplies didn't take up much room, as I packed insulin cartridges into a 0.5litre stainless steel vaccuum flask, lancets and needles into plastic pots, which could later be used for disposal. Also took a spare meter, couple of spare pens and some spare syringes, some of which could go in hold luggage. I took some emergency food for initial weeks, then bought supplies from supermarkets in Punta Arenas, NAAFI at Mount Pleasant Airport etc.

Actually, the excessive amount of kit is one reason I prefer to stick with MDI instead of pump, not that I'd qualify, anyway.

Yes that's true - the pump stuff has more than doubled the volume of what we need to take with us on holiday! I also take everything in its original packaging, which takes up more space but its then clear what it is for any jobsworths at airport security. I find it impossible to both "travel light" and "be prepared"! 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back