Travelling to America tomorrow!

Status
Not open for further replies.

heasandford

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
First time I have travelled through a clock change since I got my pump!

It is more complicated than I thought? - when I compared my basal rates against time there is a huge difference, I thought I would move a couple of hours on the pump clock every 2-4hours during the journey which takes 10 hours, 8 hours time difference ie 12noon is 4am.

I know I should have thought about this before....

The last time I travelled any distance was on MDI, but if I were long-hauling I'd be tempted to take a similar approach which is roughly:

- It's a complete 'out of routine' day so is bound to be a bit all over the place. Don't expect it to be perfect. Keep hypo treatments etc handy
- Get basal doses/pattern to new local time as quickly as possible (eg if flying overnight arriving in the morning fudge it a bit so that you are on local time by the time you land)
- Watch for bubbles during flight (pressure changes might make them appear in reservoir so just keep a bit of an eye out and make sure insulin is all the way to the end of the tube from time to time)
- Enjoy the trip!

Hope you manage it without too much upheaval. Hopefully some experienced travellers can chip in with their tips/experience.

Thanks Mike!

What you say is more or less what's recommended and what I intend to do, it's just that when you draw the graph of Basal Rate and plot the comparison (when it moves time) there is a vast difference - variable basal makes a huge difference.

thanks for reminder about bubbles - my particular 'issue' anyway! Sadly I have to change cartridge and cabnnula etc tomorrow about 6 hours before take-off.

My experience is that corrections take about 2 hours, by which time another incorrect basal will have kicked in...
I think I just have to be upbeat and check frequently!

Enjoy your trip!:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back