Travelling overseas and freestyle libre 2 sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randomdiabetictype1

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hey everyone,
i was just wondering a few questions as i recentley got the freestyle libre 2 sensor. i've got a trip in november Overseas and was wondering these things sorry if it's a silly question.

1. If i remember correctly through security majority of the time UK airports are full body scanners. (unless it's changed recentley) is it fine to go through them with the FL2? Also does it always set it off? Also if there's some reason you can't does it take a lot longer to get through security?

2. with the spare sensors that are in your bags are they classed as liquid because of the adhesive? and have you ever been questioned about them with the big needle inside? as technically that's a sharp?

i've never travelled overseas since with the freestyle libre 2 on. But travelled before i had them and got through airport security very quickly. But i'm just not sure if i have to do anything different because of having the freestyle libre 2 sensors?

i know i'm asking very early. I'm just wondering.

I've been on holiday twice with Libres and not had a problem.

Oh I am sorry for not answering your question fully.

1) No issues with security at all. No alarms. No stop and search. No one batted an eyelid.
2) This makes no sense. There's no liquid in them. Not been stopped and asked about them.

In other words: NO PROBLEMS.

Oh I am sorry for not answering your question fully.

1) No issues with security at all. No alarms. No stop and search. No one batted an eyelid.
2) This makes no sense. There's no liquid in them. Not been stopped and asked about them.

In other words: NO PROBLEMS.
Thanks

if there's no liquid in them what makes them stick on then? i thought adhesive means glue which is a type of liquid.

Thanks

if there's no liquid in them what makes them stick on then? i thought adhesive means glue which is a type of liquid.
The adhesive is a dry sticky substance, (like when you peel the paper backing off a sticky label) so doesn’t count as a liquid. My spares have gone through the hand luggage screening and not shown up as anything untoward.
I have had a sensor on my arm trigger the archway, on the way out at Gatwick. I had to stand in the body scanner, which showed there was something of interest on my left arm, but as soon as I said to the security person, Oh I expect it’s my Libre sensor, she said, oh that’ll be it, had a quick look, and waved me through. Coming back in from both Budapest and Innsbruck recently, my sensor didn’t trigger the alarm at all. I guess some are more sensitive than others.

My sensors have been through body scanners and X ray machines. They have never set of any alarms and always continued working with no problem.

I think Abbott advise you to request a pay down rather than go through the full body scanner (though that may be pump companies or Dex).

I’ve been through full scanners before I realised this, but now ask for a pat down and have always been treated politely and efficiently. It takes me more time to put my belt back on and refill my pockets!

The security folks I’ve dealt with are used to this sort of kit, and are happy to follow your preference for a pat down if you’d rather not discover that THAT full body scanner fritzes your sensor on your way on hols. It’s very unlikely, but device manufacturers seem to prefer “ask for pat down” to taking on responsibility for safety checking all various scanners that exist?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back