Travelling on Eurostar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mumtoatype1

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Hello. I was wondering if anyone could help me. We are travelling to Paris in the Eurostar in August. My 3 year old has an insulin pump. I have organised a letter from GP to prove condition etc. But I was wondering if anyone knew what happens when you go through security? Do the pumps have to be removed etc? It's our first holiday travelling with Type 1 so any advice appreciated. Many thanks x

No problem at all on Eurostar. Just go through security as normal. Have a lovely holiday and enjoy Paris.

Yes, but what security checks take place?

Yes, but what security checks take place?
Like airport security, with the addition that you have to put your suitcase through a scanner as you would with hand baggage at an airport.

No need to remove pump or CGM sensors. I don't recall even mentioning either at security.

I have a letter from my pump team, but in the 10+ years I've had a pump and having been on probably 100+ flights and several Eurostar journeys, I've never been asked for it.

Last edited:
'Like airport security' means you have to go through a whole body scanner, which Roche say my pump cannot do - hence you have to request a separate, private search. That is exactly what I was trying to establish, whole body scanner or not.

Thanks.

I don't recall seeing a whole body scanner; just the usual metal-detecting arch, which is not a problem for pumps. If there was a whole body scanner, you have the right to refuse this and have a pat-down search, which I have done on several occasions.

(I once had a run-in with a jobs-worth security man at Heathrow T5, who kept trying to persuade/force me to go through a body-scanner. I stood firm and ended up making a formal complaint against him.)

Good oh @m1dnc - but as it happens I have no idea what a usual metal detecting arch is. Where are they usual? - bearing in mind I have very rarely needed to go on a train anywhere for the last 20-ish years :D

Last edited:
Crickey, I'm sure you're familiar with a metal detecting arch. They are at the entrances to a lot of official buildings, airports, and even sporting venues these days. It's been many decades since I was inside a school, but I think they have them at some inner city schools where there are concerns about knives. You probably don't think twice about them.

Additional point, in my experience, the Eurostar security staff have been completely familiar with insulin pumps for quite a few years and will offer advice as necessary.

(I once had a run-in with a jobs-worth security man at Heathrow T5, who kept trying to persuade/force me to go through a body-scanner. I stood firm and ended up making a formal complaint against him.)
I wonder whether that was the charmer I met in Heathrow security and explained how my pump could not go through the body scanner.
He told me to take all of my belongings to a separate room (a single woman with a man), gave me no time to repack my bag or put my shoes back on and provided no assistance to carry everything.
He treated me as if I was a criminal and told me it was my choice to have diabetes.

He was reported to his boss.

I wonder whether that was the charmer I met in Heathrow security and explained how my pump could not go through the body scanner.
He told me to take all of my belongings to a separate room (a single woman with a man), gave me no time to repack my bag or put my shoes back on and provided no assistance to carry everything.
He treated me as if I was a criminal and told me it was my choice to have diabetes.

He was reported to his boss.
Sounds like the fellow. He left me feeling so stressed and humiliated that I sought out the Duty Manager for T5 and made a complaint. He was emollient and admitted it was down to poor training. Not really good enough, but I had a flight to catch.

@Mumtoatype1 My 17 YO T1 went to Paris on the Eurostar in April- no full bodyscanner, just a metal detector arch. All the Eurostar staff she encountered both in UK and Paris were knowledgeable about the pump- she just waved her letter and went through. On the other hand- in some Paris tourist attractions (e,g,Versailles) they do have walk-through X-ray machines at the entrance. I had the letters translated into French just in case- however when she showed the pump they were fine. The confusing thing is they could turn off the Xray facility from the entrance, shich she didn't realise, so were vigorously beckoning her through, while she was vociferously protesting in broken French that she couldn't go through an Xray! 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back