Travelling and insulin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aybrice (Blueduck)

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hallo to frequent travellers. I am going where there is a 4 hour time difference and the last time it took a week for me to get my blood sugar under control
Any help would be appreciated, I will have an extra 4 hours to my day. Last time I tried increasing my fast acting, as I read on line this was the thing to do, but this did not help . Thanks in advance

What insulins do you take @Aybrice (Blueduck) ? The usual thing to do it to gradually move your basal dose time. What basal do you take and when? Four hours is a pretty minimal difference so you should get your blood sugar ok in a day or two.

I’m not sure what you mean by saying you’ll have an extra four hours to your day? Is your destination four hours ahead or four hours behind the U.K. time? That’s what you need to know. You then work to local time.

Ah, I’d only it was simple. I’m super sensitive. levimir 6 units morning’s 4 before bed. And destination is 4 hours behind us

What times do you take the Levemir? Eg 7am, etc etc What time is your flight? What (local) time does it arrive?

Ok, so if it was me,I’d take the morning Levemir at your normal time on flight day (unless you’re planning to get up earlier?) I’d then take that evening’s Levemir 2hrs late working to U.K. time. Then the next day take the evening Levemir 4 hours late working to U.K. time - ie on time working by local time.

Correct any highs (eg on your first morning) and things should settle. What happened last time? Were you going high or were you going low?

That’s sounds a good option that I have not tried, last time I was high morning and night with a few lows mid afternoon. I tried increasing fiasp with my last meal, but that seemed to make everything worse and I don’t think I calculated very well with plane food

By the end of 8 days it had settled down, then we flew home, good numbers, then had the clocks change here

Did not fly over last few years because of covid and husband medical issues. And think bs things have changed due to hormones

I hope the method works well for you @Aybrice (Blueduck) Its annoying having to deal with misbehaving blood sugar on holiday. I find being on a plane tends to push my blood sugar up a bit anyway due to the inactivity and stress so that might have been contributing. Once you’ve got your basal times sorted onto the local time using the method above, you should find things settle.

Then you basically reverse things on the way back, depending on your flight departure time.

Thanks for taking the time to help, Inka
All really helpful, fingers crossed for this method, glad it works for you. Sometimes I can’t see the wood for the trees diabetic brain over load

I hope the adjustments to basal work @Aybrice (Blueduck)

When away on holiday carb counting can be a bit more guesswork, but your ratios should still work.
I find it is noticeably hotter things go more weird, but whilst away I just cut myself some slack and do the best that I can.

Let us know how you get on.

Thank you SB2015
I know the heat is a tricky little spanner in the works, and you cant always eat what you want sometimes it’s what’s available I try to be a little more relaxed but for a control freak that easier said than done. Previously I found meal times not so bad but definitely back ground seems a bit tricky. I’ll report back after the holiday. Thanks for taking the time to help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back