Travelling abroad

Status
Not open for further replies.

sara81

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi, I'm travelling abroad in January to Amsterdam and then to France in February. Could anyone tell me the cheapest travel insurance to use for type 1 diabetes please .

Hi, I'm travelling abroad in January to Amsterdam and then to France in February. Could anyone tell me the cheapest travel insurance to use for type 1 diabetes please .
Most travel insurance won’t charge extra just for having Type 1. If you use a comparison site that lets you put in your medical conditions before you get the quote, you will only get quotes for comparison that include your diabetes.

Most travel insurance won’t charge extra just for having Type 1. If you use a comparison site that lets you put in your medical conditions before you get the quote, you will only get quotes for comparison that include your diabetes.

I use Nationwide Flex Plus account.
They charge extra for type 2.

Is that one that comes as part of a bank account package? They usually exclude all medical history, unless you pay extra. The instances where I have got online quotes for stand alone travel policies, it hasn’t made any difference to the price if I put in that I either do or don’t have Type 1 diabetes. OH, on the other hand, who takes several lots of medication for BP, blood thinner etc following a TIA, it always doubles his premium.

OH, on the other hand, who takes several lots of medication for BP, blood thinner etc following a TIA, it always doubles his premium.
I get charged about 30% over, I think, because of BP, tachycardia, etc., on top of T1D.

I was considering this account but, approximately, how much extra do they charge for type 2, mild, medically controlled HBP and over 70 yrs? The cheapest insurance, all medical details declared, I could find for a 3 week trip to USA next year was £200.

I do not use standard travel insurance because they do not cover pre-existing conditions. As my diabetes is the one thing most likely to go wrong, I want to ensure it is covered. Therefore, I use AllClear. It is not cheap but covers diabetes.

I do not use standard travel insurance because they do not cover pre-existing conditions. As my diabetes is the one thing most likely to go wrong, I want to ensure it is covered. Therefore, I use AllClear. It is not cheap but covers diabetes.
I don’t really understand what you’re saying here in terms of covering pre-existing medical conditions. If you complete the form for travel insurance and declare in detail, as requested, any pre-existing conditions, such as diabetes, high blood pressure etc., the quoted price includes cover for these conditions. I don’t know if I’m missing something here, however.

I was considering this account but, approximately, how much extra do they charge for type 2, mild, medically controlled HBP and over 70 yrs? The cheapest insurance, all medical details declared, I could find for a 3 week trip to USA next year was £200.

I declared type 2, even though technically it's reversed, and "high cholesterol" as I take statins, even though I am within NHS guidelines, and I don't just mean fiddling the figures on just "ratio".
Perfect BP, and under 70 though.

We can all argue over what high cholesterol is, and how well diabetes is controlled and how it's done, but once the words are in your medical records, I wasn't going to argue if I needed any treatment, and there are a long list of complications that could arise from diabetes and high cholesterol.
So I have world wide all year cover, for trips of up to 31 days, European and UK vehicle breakdown cover, for £13 a month and a one off payment last year of around £60.
Just about to requote in a few weeks for this year.

I don’t really understand what you’re saying here in terms of covering pre-existing medical conditions. If you complete the form for travel insurance and declare in detail, as requested, any pre-existing conditions, such as diabetes, high blood pressure etc., the quoted price includes cover for these conditions. I don’t know if I’m missing something here, however.
Just because they ask me about it does not mean I would be covered for a hospital visit to a severe hypo or DKA. It just means they know I have diabetes.
I do not have policies available at the moment but I recommend reading the small print.

Just because they ask me about it does not mean I would be covered for a hospital visit to a severe hypo or DKA. It just means they know I have diabetes.
I do not have policies available at the moment but I recommend reading the small print.
I understand what you are saying and am not disputing it. What I don’t really get is why an insurance company would ask for details about pre-existing conditions, note and accept the facts, and, in many if not all cases, load the policy price, yet, as you say, not actually insure against any subsequent problems arising while on holiday. If their policy is not to cover related medical expenses, why ask about them in the first place? I take your point about reading the small print or, possibly better still, discussing the matter, first hand and directly with the insurance provider.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back