Travelling abroad with type 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

KellySuffolk

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Me and my husband are hopefully going abroad in the summer for a week in the sun somewhere in Europe and I have recently have been diagnosed with type 2. I have visited my doctors for my Diabetes physical today and was told that I will not need a doctors note because I am not taking any needles and not to take my blood sugar monitor just to enjoy myself and just to take my medication with me. Is there any food and drinks which I can have when I am abroad which won't my increase by sugar and carb levels?

Welcome to the forum.
What medication are you on as with some it may be wise to take your monitor so you can check if you normally do at home. Also if you feel unwell for any reason you can check.
Some places it can be tricky to find diet / no sugar drinks but otherwise meals based on meat, fish, eggs, cheese, salads and veg but go easy on anything with chips/ fries, rice, pasta, pizza and puddings basically what you would normally eat at home, the advantage you are not having to cook it. You are probably going to do plenty of walking which will help.
It is a holiday so enjoy yourself.

Enjoy your holiday.
Europe has the same range of foods available, so I find just pointing works well, and leaving what you don't want.

What would you normally eat and drink on holiday, and what are your activity levels like on holiday - is it a lazing in the sun holiday or a swimming and walking sightseeing holiday?

Make a little notebook of phrases which describe yourself as a diabetic and what your requirements are in the local language - you can look it up online, and carry it with you - be sure to check local as some places on the borders can be problematic, and use their own dialect or even not the national language at all. In France you can find speakers of Spanish, German or even Catalan

Welcome to the forum.
What medication are you on as with some it may be wise to take your monitor so you can check if you normally do at home. Also if you feel unwell for any reason you can check.
Some places it can be tricky to find diet / no sugar drinks but otherwise meals based on meat, fish, eggs, cheese, salads and veg but go easy on anything with chips/ fries, rice, pasta, pizza and puddings basically what you would normally eat at home, the advantage you are not having to cook it. You are probably going to do plenty of walking which will help.
It is a holiday so enjoy yourself.
I am on Metformin, currently taking 2 tablets a day at the moment, but I will have had a blood test before we travel.

I would just enjoy your holiday and not worry too much, you’re not on meds that would cause hypos, you’re planning an active holiday so will get away with eating different foods to usual. Have a good time and get back on track when you’re home. Maybe take your meter if you want to be able to check if you do feel unwell.

I’ve been away overseas twice since diagnosis, Majorca and the Amalfi Coast in Italy, and eating out was easy. Most restaurants had dishes of meat/fish and veg and I never struggled to find anything. In fact, I found it easier to eat out overseas than in the UK, especially in Italy.

Also did lots of walking (Especially in Italy, which included a walk up to the top of Vesuvius.

I bought sensors to use, but next time won’t bother.

Only on Metformin (500mg). I wouldn‘t worry about it.

Hi there I’ve just seen this thread and wanted to ask about the sensors you mentioned. I am type 2 just like the original poster 🙂 I am on one metformin and my last hba1c was 46 or 48. I finger prick regular but to save my fingers have been buying libre 2. I was hoping to take them away in my cruise which I am going on may 4th which is my delayed honeymoon.

We will be exploring different cities plus I go to the gym 3/4 times a week and there is a gym on board too. I wondered what to take basically ofc my medical and prescription to show my medication but do I need a dr letter?

Did you put the sensors in your checked in luggage or should I just not test whilst I’m away. I usual test before and after meals and through the day with the libre. I’ve brought my hba1c down from 106

I’ve also been told to contact airports 3 weeks in advance to let them know I’m diabetic- has anyone else experienced that?

Just wondering what other experiences were 🙂

I never took any sort of prescription or notified anyone, just threw the metformin in a bag and carried it through. I have no idea why you'd have to tell the airport.

I had a sensor on when I went through the airport (Both sides) without a problem.

I never took any sort of prescription or notified anyone, just threw the metformin in a bag and carried it through. I have no idea why you'd have to tell the airport.

I had a sensor on when I went through the airport (Both sides) without a problem.
Ah thanks for this infor - it was the diabetes helpline that suggested I ring airports but I didn’t think I would need to either

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back