Travelling abroad for the first time since diagnosis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Berniecdj

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
So another new frontier next weekend. My first little venture abroad since my T1D diagnosis.

Travelling to Latvia to watch Wales football away so a few flights (are we allowed to take hyper snacks through security for the flights?) changing time zones and bolus estimation for meals amongst many other conundrums no doubt.

This forum has so far proved invaluable in terms of advice so if anyone has any top tips then I’d be grateful to hear them.

And here’s hoping for a Wales win!

Yes you can take hypo treatments through security. You need a letter from your dsn detailing your need for juice etc, and it’s a good idea to have your Other diabetes needs/insulins etc listed too. Most security people are on it with understanding diabetes, I have on occasion had to argue the point with someone whose wanted to bin my orange juice by pointing to the letter where is says ‘must not be separated from’.

in terms of supplies my rule is I bring double of everything I think I will need for the time away, plus one for luck. Insulin cannot go in the hold, and my own rule is that my entire diabetes kit does not leave my side from my door to inside the hotel room. Others may be more relaxed on that point, but I figure, my pancreas wouldn’t go in the hold, therefore, my kit does not either 🙂. Have a good trip

My hypo snacks are not liquid so I have not had to deal with the issue of carrying them through security.
They never bat an eyelid at my GlucoTabs or muesli bars.

A letter from your DSN or consultant or doctor is recommended for travel. This should be written in a way that can be used again and again. Most GPS charge for this whereas most diabetes clinics don’t. In twenty years of travelling on hundreds of flights (I am not exaggerating), I have needed my letter once. So, don’t panic if you don’t have one. In most cases a copy of your repeat prescription is a good enough alternative.

in fact, most security crews pay not attention to any diabetes kit. Including Libre - the needles are too small to show up on the x-ray. You may want to put your spare insulin in a clear bag with you toiletries. Some security guys don’t care, others need to make themselves “useful”.

Some people prefer to tell the staff they have diabetes. I don’t bother. Security don’t care and nor do air crew.

In the olden days when you used to have to check in in person, I did enjoy answering the question about whether I had any sharp items in my hand luggage. I would say “yes” but offer no explanation until the airline staff had started to show concern. Then I would add “I have diabetes” and see them visibly relax.

Take all your diabetes kit in your hand luggage and, as @Saoirse mentioned, take twice as much as you think you will need. Some people request a separate medical bag. I have never needed this and always prefer the minimum number of bags.
There are two reasons for keeping your kit with you rather than putting it in the hold - you cannot guarantee the temperature in the hold and hold luggage may not arrive at the same time as you.

If you put your hand luggage in the overhead locker, make sure you keep your hypo treatment out. From personal experience, I can tell you it is not pleasant having a hypo whilst taking off and having to endure the air crews’ stares and stern words when you jump up to get your dextrose out.

Just a quick update on this for wider interest

I traveled through 4 airports. Stanstead, Aarhus, Riga and Oslo. All the overseas airport security staff were brilliant and supportive, the staff at Standstead less so. I was treated with suspicion in London and was carted off to a room for a ‘private search‘. The bag searches tossed my insulin around and my bag was returned in a highly disheveled state. Very stressful experience for my maiden journey and wasn’t good for my BS levels!

All airports checked my letters. So glad I had them! My medical bag was not an issue either.

Walked 25000 steps around Riga, tried to carb count without a weighing scale. Mostly hit the spot apart from on the day of the game. Reduced my bolus but still had a low on entry to the ground - so I think the combination of travelling, exercise and insulin had me.

All in all a great trip, got out of the comfort zone, learned a lot and Wales won 2-0.

My hypo snacks are not liquid so I have not had to deal with the issue of carrying them through security.
They never bat an eyelid at my GlucoTabs or muesli bars.
Though not relevant for the trip in question, when I last went to Australia they decided I wasn't allowed to take through my granola bars as they contained nuts and seeds (even though they were cooked), so either don't tell them, or ensure you have something that won't be on a banned list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back