Traveling with insulin

Moi

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 3c
I will be flying with my insulin, how do I syire it and can it go through the xray machine. X

I put mine in my clear plastic bag with other liquids to go through security and then in my hand luggage. The plane and airport are comfortable temperatures so will not damage the insulin and then I put my spare in the fridge door at the villa and kept my in use insulin with me but made sure not to leave it anywhere uncomfortably hot.
I was travelling to Tenerife so a 4.5 hour flight plus travel at each end and time in airport amounted to about half a day each way when the insulin was out of the fridge, so a day in total if you like, which is nothing. It went back in the fridge when I got home and I just used it next and it was absolutely fine.

You do have to be cautious about using fridges away from home and think about protecting your insulin in case the fridge malfunctions and freezes it as that can damage it and I would never put my insulin in a fridge which wasn't "secure" ie. a hotel fridge that strangers and staff had access to.
If you are going somewhere hot where there is no fridge, then a Frio pouch is recommended. I bought one and took it with me to Tenerife but never needed it as villa was a comfortable temperature even if I hadn't used the fridge.

Yes, insulin is fine going through Xray machines.

There is nothing to do to put insulin through the x-ray machines - insulin is unaffected by x-rays.
You may want to put it in a clear bag to avoid it being taken out and rechecked but I don't usually bother and it is rarely checked.

I just leave it in my (hand luggage) bag

I will be flying with my insulin, how do I syire it and can it go through the xray machine. X
I had an extra hand baggage bag which had all my diabetes stuff in it. It went through the x ray machine.
The insulin was out of the fridge for about 24hrs. I put it in the fridge when we got to our apartment and the one I was using I made sure to keep out of the sun.
Had no problems either at the airports or keeping the insulin cool and usable.

I leave my current insulin in my man bag and the spares go in my hand luggage inside a breezy bag to keep it cool.

For the first time ever this year I was asked for paperwork when going through security. It was Gatwick. I was travelling with insulin vial for my pump, spare pens (basal and bolus) as well as adrenalin for my nut allergy. I have been travelling with epipens for 30 years and never asked for paperwork - I stopped asking my GP for it after about 15 years. I do pop copies of my prescription with my meds, but he said "next time remember you need a letter from your doctor".

Four different airports this year have had 4 different approaches to heading through security. One (Gatwick) told me he would have to pat me down/ search me when I told him I had a Libre and a pod. Tenerife waved me through without going through X-Ray or scanner when I pointed to my pod and Libre. Heathrow told me not to go through the usual machine, but the scanner next to it instead. Ibiza said they use brand new machines which do not affect Libre or pumps and so I headed through their scanner.

Make sure you point out your sensor or pod to security if you use them. I would also recommend a sunflower 'unseen disabilities' lanyard as they often spot you, discretely ask if they can help (this is when I show my pod and libre) and pop you through quicker. There are also dedicated lanes at passport control in the UK for those with the lanyard. Both me and my brother-in-laws step son were wearing them recently and we beat an horrendous queue at Gatwick that he would definitely not have coped with.

My advice is not to make a big thing about your insulin.
My insulin and I have, literally, been on hundreds of flights together all around the world through, Europe, Asia and the Americas.
I feel my medical condition is personal and only share it is I need to. I absolutely do not point out my sensor or pump to security unless they ask me to go through the full body scanner and then it only affects the pump which the OP does not need to worry about.
I once tried the sunflower lanyard security lane (I was not aware they existed for passport control) and found them to be more stressful as it was also being used by a large group of loud children. I chose never to use it again although it may have helped jump the queue. That said, I do arrive in plenty of time in case there is an issue.

I would be nervous about anyone who told me they had “brand new scanners” which “do not affect insulin pumps”. The occasional security person at different airports (including once or twice at Heathrow) have been coming out with this line for the last ten years although the advice from pump manufacturers have not changed : they are untested. I prefer not to risk the thing that is keeping me alive based on the say so of airport security and instead rely on the manufacturer who knows their technology and the testing it has undergone. The four different approaches you saw are as likely to be down to how much faff the individual security person can be bothered with at that time.

Last edited:
My advice is not to make a big thing about your insulin.
My insulin and I have, literally, been on hundreds of flights together all around the world through, Europe, Asia and the Americas.
I feel my medical condition is personal and only share it is I need to. I absolutely do not point out my sensor or pump to security unless they ask me to go through the full body scanner and then it only affects the pump which the OP does not need to worry about.
I once tried the sunflower lanyard security lane (I was not aware they existed for passport control) and found them to be more stressful as it was also being used by a large group of loud children. I chose never to use it again although it may have helped jump the queue. That said, I do arrive in plenty of time in case there is an issue.

I would be nervous about anyone who told me they had “brand new scanners” which “do not affect insulin pumps”. The occasional security person at different airports (including the once or twice at Heathrow) have been coming out with this line for the last ten years although the advice from pump manufacturers have not changed : they are untested. I prefer not to risk the thing that is keeping me alive based on the say so of airport security and instead rely on the manufacturer who knows their technology and the testing it has undergone. The four different approaches you saw are as likely to be down to how much faff the individual security person can be bothered with at that time.
Fascinating. I am going to contact Insulet and Abbot to see what their current advice is! Heathrow security were adamant that the new scanner was fine for both Libre and Pod. He was also the most 'clued up' about both devices - moving me and my family to an empty lane asking where both items were located and swabbing them both.

Enjoy your trip @Moi

Do remember to take extra supplies and spares with you. I find it helps to take at least half as much again, or even double what I think I may need - holidays can mean different foods, larger or more celebratory meals than usual. Plus there’s always the chance of something unforeseen happening, so it’s wise to take more than you think you’ll need just in case 🙂

A response from Insulet regarding travelling:

In regards to your enquiry, the Pods should be able to go through scanners without any issue at all but we do recommend to obtain a letter from your diabetes team explaining what the system is and that should resolve any confusion.

S
till awaiting a response from Abbott re: Libre sensors.

A response from Insulet regarding travelling:

In regards to your enquiry, the Pods should be able to go through scanners without any issue at all but we do recommend to obtain a letter from your diabetes team explaining what the system is and that should resolve any confusion.

S
till awaiting a response from Abbott re: Libre sensors.
I went through the normal scanner with my sensor, Libre2, with no problems.
Must admit I felt ok to do that as I saw someone else with one going through, up to that point I was worried if it might be affected. Ditto the spares in my bag.

I’m at the airport now. I just put insulin in liquids bag and walked through scanners. Didn’t mention diabetes, needles, insulin etc to anyone. They didn’t ask either. My libre works fine after both scanner types. Have been through both types previously with no issues too so wasn’t concerned.

I have been travelling with epipens for 30 years and never asked for paperwork - I stopped asking my GP for it after about 15 years. I do pop copies of my prescription with my meds, but he said "next time remember you need a letter from your doctor".
Well that isn’t in accordance with what Gatwick says on its website! i was just checking, because I’m flying soon, and it seems to suggest that a named prescription label on the item is enough. A letter is 'recommended' but not mandatory.
IMG_4466.jpeg

Well that isn’t in accordance with what Gatwick says on its website! i was just checking, because I’m flying soon, and it seems to suggest that a named prescription label on the item is enough. A letter is 'recommended' but not mandatory.
View attachment 31810
But I don't have a "named" prescription label on my individual cartridges of insulin, just on the box that I left at home in the fridge and if I am only taking my "in use" cartridge in my pen plus a spare for each insulin, I don't really want to take the whole box just for one spare cartridge, or at least I hadn't considered doing that. I suppose I could though. I just winged it with my insulin and a very recent prescription slip showing those items and thankfully I wasn't challenged.

But I don't have a "named" prescription label on my individual cartridges of insulin, just on the box that I left at home in the fridge and if I am only taking my "in use" cartridge in my pen plus a spare for each insulin, I don't really want to take the whole box just for one spare cartridge, or at least I hadn't considered doing that. I suppose I could though. I just winged it with my insulin and a very recent prescription slip showing those items and thankfully I wasn't challenged.
When security was heightened, I took the flattened box with with me and the one or two cartridges that I needed. That way they had the names label without it taking up much space in my luggage. The remaining cartridges were left behind in my home fridge.
However, that was many years ago and I haven't bothered since and it has never caused any issues with many many flights, including through Gatwick (which may be my least favourite airport in the UK).

I’ve never bothered recently, I used to take the flattened insulin boxes when I came across a web page that said medicines had got to be in the original containers, because it’s not always obvious what they are if you take loose cartridges. I always take a copy of my prescription anyway, and I have a doctors letter, I’ve just never needed to produce it.(yet!)

Having twice lost a cartridge by dropping it on the tiled floor of a Spanish villa, I would never take just one spare cartridge!

Having twice lost a cartridge by dropping it on the tiled floor of a Spanish villa, I would never take just one spare cartridge!
I was only there for 4 days, so my in use pen was more than enough to cover it and spare was in it's plastic and foil blister, and I have been told here on the forum the cartridges are plastic anyway, so if it had hit the deck, I very much doubt it would have broken. You can't foresee every possible disaster. The general advice is to take twice as much as you expect to need and I did that.

I had an interesting thought on the plane on the way home. We were sitting in the emergency exit seats over the wings and you are not allowed your hand bag under the seat, it has to be in the overhead locker and after they went through the spiel about helping others in an emergency with us and not taking any bags with us in an emergency evacuation, it occurred to me that I wouldn't last very long if we did crash because I wouldn't have my insulin with me. Odd that the thought of being left without my insulin was more frightening than crashing in a plane!! I got up and stuffed my insulin pen case down the front of my bra as soon as I was allowed to get up and kept it there for the remainder of the journey! 🙄

Back