Traveling to Czechia with diabetes - any tips?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SweetDany

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
He/Him
Greetings all. As a new member exploring potential European destinations, I've long desired visiting the Czech Republic's scenic castles, nature, and architecture. Planning travel next year, I seek advice on managing diabetes abroad.

Any insights on locating diabetes-friendly fare? Should extra supplies be brought or obtained locally? Do prescriptions facilitate purchases?

Regarding communications, do locals commonly speak English, or should I learn key Czech phrases?

Past travelers’ experiences navigating the Czech Republic with diabetes would greatly aid planning. Please post some links that could help in planning my trip. Thank you for sharing wisdom that empowers healthy, memorable travel.

It depends where you’re going. In Prague English is widely spoken, but in rural areas you’ll need a phrasebook. Food is fine. Just leave some of the carbs, like you would in the U.K. if it’s more than you want. Are you on any medication?

Last time I visited outside of Prague, I think the country was Czechoslovakia. However, one thing which may come in handy from that time is that German was considered the "second language". Eating in restaurants in small towns, our Czech phrase book was not much use - noticing that we were not local, we were given a German menu.

It depends where you’re going. In Prague English is widely spoken, but in rural areas you’ll need a phrasebook. Food is fine. Just leave some of the carbs, like you would in the U.K. if it’s more than you want. Are you on any medication?
Thank you for sharing that helpful information about English usage in Prague, @Inka 🙂. It's good to know as someone without Czech or German language skills. I’m taking Metformin for diabetes, by the way. I’m considering to hire a local guide if I will travel outside of Prague, does anyone have suggestions on where I can find English-speaking guides that offer personalized tours?

@Inka Thank you for the link to CzechTours, which offers private tours from Prague to any destination you choose with a driver who speaks English. They can tailor the tour to suit my preferences and budget upon request. I also found another tour company called GoWithGuide when I was doing some research over the weekend. They can also arrange a customized tour by getting in touch with the guides on their website https://gowithguide.com/czech-republic/guides
I will have to reach out to both CzechTours and GoWithGuide to help me decide. I appreciate all your assistance in planning my trip. Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back