Travel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jontennis

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
Hi all. I'm new to type 1.5 and I travel quiet a lot. How does it work at airports with the insulin/sharps etc? I assume it must be something they are used to but do I have to do anything in particular? Thanks in advance.

Hi all. I'm new to type 1.5 and I travel quiet a lot. How does it work at airports with the insulin/sharps etc? I assume it must be something they are used to but do I have to do anything in particular? Thanks in advance.
Make sure you have a letter (signed by your GP or DSN) explaining that you have diabetes and need to carry this stuff. Otherwise don't worry too much. As you note, they're used to it. You can mention that you have diabetes and have needles, lancets, etc., but I don't usually bother.

I carry a letter from my doctor saying I have Type 1 and am carrying sharps. I also take a copy of my prescription. I then tell them at check in when they ask if you have any sharps.

Always keep your insulin in your handluggage and make sure you get insurance that covers the Type 1 too. I use All Clear, who cover pre-existing medical conditions.

As others have said it is generally straight forward and they are used to diabetes stuff being in hand luggage. Always keep your stuff with you In your hand luggage, not in checked in luggage.

Take twice as much stuff as you would normally need for the period that you are away, and if travelling with someone else, I would split this between our bags. If one is lost I still have the other stuff. You need to carry a letter from your DSN stating that you need to be carrying your diabetes stuff.

Ensure that you have declared your diabetes to your insurance. It is likely to rise a little but that is understandable.

I have flown hundreds of times (literally) since my diabetes diagnosis.
I have needed my letter twice. I still carry it because I see it as insurance. But I do not carry a copy of my prescription (it is all electronic now, anyway).
It is very very rare that anyone will pick up my diabetes stuff - they do not see needles or lancets ... or even syringes ... in x-ray of my luggage.
Like @Bruce Stephens I don't tell security that I have diabetes unless they ask - I don't think my personal medical details are their business.

My top tip which is rarely mentioned is to make sure you have your hypo treatment close to hand on the flight. Do not leave it in your hand luggage in the overhead luggage. Having a hypo whilst taking off is not great ... having a hypo when you cannot access your hypo treatment because the seatbelt sign is on is horrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back